Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ImageShack - Hosting :: rugersinglesixvc0.jpg

I found that I couldn't get a cash offer for my Marlin much more than $325 and I considered trades for a useful handgun of similar value. The only gun that caught my eye was the stainless Ruger Single Six in .22 Magnum. I'd been thinking about such a gun lately so it was odd that I ended up trading for one of these since all along I'd been considering something more like a .44. But, I took what would be more practical and enjoyable for me right now and took the little Ruger. Well, it's not really that little. It's about as long as my .357 but much lighter. The .22 WMR is a round that's interested me of lately and I'll be interested to see what it shoots like. Does anybody have one of these? I understand that they are fairly popular. Mine only the .22 WMR cylinder and I wonder if I could get a .22LR cylinder for dirt-cheap shooting.

·
Registered
223 Posts
the first hand gun i purchased (about 30 years ago) was a blued ruger single six convertible with a 5 1/2" barrel . it's still my favorite pistol. having the two cylinders makes for lots of inexpensive shooting with the 22 LR. if i had to pick a pistol and a long gun to walk off into the wilderness with, it would be the single six and my 20 GA benelli nova pump. i hope you get as much enjoyment out of your single six as i have. all the seasons best to you

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I'd like to eventually own a Ruger Single Six .22 revolver. But currently I'm enjoying my 4" Ruger .357 Mag Security Six Stainless Steel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight, 29er! I'll be shooting my Ruger when the weather get's a bit more friendly around here. I first got to like these guns when an old friend of my father's showed me his old model Single Six in .22 magnum. I've seen a video online of someone shooting an AutoMag in .22 magnum and it had quite a flash but not the kick you'd get out of a bigger caliber. The ballistics of such a round have interested me and I can't wait to see how it does. And this is off topic but the term Savoy can only remind me of the middle-priced Plymouth Savoy automobile of the 1950's. Any reference to that, perhaps?

And Oxford, I too love the .357 Magnum. Mine is a Smith and Wesson 686 and I'll be shooting this Ruger alongside the bigger magnum. I actually would have liked to get a .44 Magnum in my trade but I took what I could get. The .22 magnum may get me liking the Ruger revolver enough to perhaps come back to them for my .44 Magnum.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have the same thing you got but mine came with both cylinders. Watch on ebay and the gun auction sites and I bet you can find a 22lr cylinder.

·
Registered
223 Posts
oxford i have a stainless security six with a 6" barrel (my second pistol purchase around 1980) the first thing i did was put a set of pachmayer grips on it; the factory wood grips did a job on my hand after i put 100 rounds thru it the day i bought it. i like the way you can break it down for cleaning by using a dime to loosen the grip screw. love those rugers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need a decent flathead screwdriver to take the grip off my Smith. These are factory Hogue grips with finger grooves that fit the gun nicely with a profile more like that of the square-butt revolvers. I've noticed that many of those Rugers have rubber grips enclosing the backstrap which would help take the bite out of the recoil. Taurus has a spongy grip with flexible rubber strips that cushion against the recoil. I'm trying not to spoil myself too much on the soft grips so I can get a feel for the classic wood grips and then treat myself to the innovations later on as need be.

I haven't shot a .22 magnum before and I'm still waiting to shoot mine. I'm guessing it can't possibly kick very much but it should be more than a .22LR, right?

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the Ruger Single Six, on the front of the cylinder, there are hand etched (ground?) numbers, that match the serial numbers on the gun. You can "try" to see if a different cylinder fits, but only if you are lucky. The cylinders are "hand fit" to each gun. That's why the serial number is always on the cylinder. Don't try to fire a bullet through a "strange" cylinder! Make very sure, the cylinder lines up, exactly, with the bore! This is NOT a "try it yourself" thing to do! Ruger will fit a new one for about $40 (plus the cost of the cylinder)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts