Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ruger has about 2500 rounds through it and I think it is time for a real good cleaning. According to the manual, takedown can be done by the owner, and is part of the maintenance recomended. Last few times I cleaned it I noticed a lot of residue buildup on the front of the cylinder where the ejector rod goes into the cylinder.1) Has anyone ever tried to take one down?The manual is pretty specific, and takedown is recomended as part of maintenance and I can get to the point of taking out the mainspring assembly. Where I have trouble is taking out the Hammer Pivot.2) Has anyone tried this?3) Or alternatively is this just a VERY bad idea.Here is a link to the manual:Ruger Page Not Found all.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
ive taken apart many of them, and i will warn you, you can get into trouble if you dont fully understand what your doing. my best advice is to remove the grip, clean everything you can, and leave it at that.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
It really isn't all that complicated, one you remove the mainspring, the hammer pivot should slide out, and you should then be able to remove the hammer, after that you can take the trigger group off of the frame, and remove the cylinder, not too many parts laying around, and it is easy to get back together, however, I would not recommend trying to remove individual parts from the trigger group.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
You could take a pictures before you remove anything? That way if something happens you can turn to the picture for some assistance.

And remember, things tend to usually go back in, in the reverse they came out.

You also might be able to spray a cleaner degreaser without removing too much of it and then just lube where and as needed?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All.
I got it. The problem was that it's never been taken down before, so I had my Daughter hold the trigger back. I had to use a center punch to get the Pivot Bar out but it worked fine.

The only other problem I had was aligning the transfer bar correctly to get the trigger assembly back in. All good though.
When I took the cylinder off the swing bar, it was DISGUSTING. Now I know why the cylinder would bind no matter how much I cleaned it. I would recommend anyone that owns this gin tear it down, clean it thoroughly and lubricate it every thousand rounds or so. It is well worth the 45 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts