Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well yall, I love most things about this SR9-C, the one little problem is that every other mag or so the trigger will not reset. I have to drop the mag, rack the slide and re insert mag to get it to reset. Obviously for a Self defense pistol this is not acceptable. I did some research online and apparently im not the first to have this issue, but thankfully the reports are that ruger makes it right.

So, I got off the phone with Ruger CS about an hour ago. I have an email with a pre paid fed-ex shipping label and instructions. I was given a control # and told it would take 2 1/2 weeks, which is longer than most people reported online.

I liked the customer service at least so far. I will update this post as things progress.

I have never sent in a firearm for service so I'm alittle apprehensive, but so far so good.

My hope was that as it broke in the issue would resolve itself, but it hasn't in about 150 rounds. also as i read about how often it occurs and how it is addressed i figured i might as well try it. whats reported online is that they replace some plastic trigger parts with metal ones that work better(correctly). so i figured why not get some upgraded parts for free?

In the mean time I have the Sig p238 that i used before i had the ruger. Its always worked fine anyways!

I do want this Ruger to be my main SD pistol though. the size, accuracy, capacity and power are all just the right combo for what i want, so hopefully this service solves it!

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
I have a Ruger SR9C as well but have not ever had any problems with it. I did however own an SR45 and had to send it back to Ruger a couple times because of a light strike problem. The customer service was outstanding, the turn around time was only a week to 10 days and they finally sent me a whole new gun. I did wind up trading it in on a Sig P320, but I still own 3 other Rugers. Good company and they stand behind their products.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Got an e-mail today confirming they got the pistol and are reviewing the issue and will return it as soon as possible.

It feels good to know they got it.

I dropped it off at fed ex after work on monday. I got this email wednesday afternoon.
I told you... those Ruger guys and gals are right on the ball.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So

get another email today.. hmm thats strange, i wasnt expecting one for a week or at least a few days.. hmm its a return ship notice, their sending it back... hmm how much did they do in one day... did they refuse service?....

So I figure i better call them up and see whats going on. Nice young lady asnwers but immediatlely asks me to hold.. uh ok... bout a minute later, not too long... she comes back on "sorry for the hold how can i help" explain im calling to see why their sending it back so soon.. give her order #..

Well she says "yep, we replaced the trigger group, trigger disconnect bar, Extractor(not sure why) replaced some other thing i cant remember and....and.... sent it back with a new 10 round mag as a courtesy! I was about to buy one for my Bday anyways!($45)

"wow! thats awesome!" was all I could say! she asked " any more questions" "No mam that sounds great thank you!"

I asked howd you get it done so fast yall just got it yesterday? she said they were caught up on orders and just got right to it.

It's supposed to be here Monday, lets just hope Fed ex does it's job!

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got it today. I did have to drive about 30 mins away to pick it up from the fedex location, even though my wife was here all day and the dogs never barked, they said no one answered the door.

Anyways I got it and it looks good so far. i can see where they polished and removed some material on the barrel breach area, and they did indeed send it back with a 10 round mag, it appears used but thats fine, it works and saved me $45 bucks on a new one.

I dry fire/racked the slide a few times and it seems to function fine, the trigger feels a bit stiffer but maybe just needs some breaking in. I'll get out to the range this weekend and test it out.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Well I got it today. I did have to drive about 30 mins away to pick it up from the fedex location, even though my wife was here all day and the dogs never barked, they said no one answered the door.

Anyways I got it and it looks good so far. i can see where they polished and removed some material on the barrel breach area, and they did indeed send it back with a 10 round mag, it appears used but thats fine, it works and saved me $45 bucks on a new one.

I dry fire/racked the slide a few times and it seems to function fine, the trigger feels a bit stiffer but maybe just needs some breaking in. I'll get out to the range this weekend and test it out.
I look forward to reading a report from the range.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Range Report

Took the gun out to the range today with 150 rounds of 9mm. started off with Tulammo 115 fmj steel case, 50 rounds no problems. then moved on to 115 grain blazer brass, first mag had a trigger fail to reset. I had several more with that, thought maybe it was the ammo, the last box was 147 grain remington fmj, 2 more fail to resets. total of 6 in 150 rounds.

So Im pretty dissapointed at this point.

I really like this gun and love how it shoots, when it works!

Just got off the phone with ruger customer service, very nice people to work with. They are having me send it in again, not sure what theyll do this time. I'm almost hoping the send me a new one, although mine is a fairly new production, 2015. Im sure it cant affect every pistol, there are numerous reviews online of people stating they have fired hundreds or thousands of rounds through these pistols with no trigger reset issues. Maybe this one is just a defective unit... idk.

Either way my confidence in this firearm is pretty low. It will take a good 2-300 rounds of no issues for me to feel confident in its reliability, this is my Home and self defense firearm, at least i intended it to be.

Also its not like i can just swap it out for a new pistol from another manufacturer, i supposed Ruger could refund me my money but I doubt Academy sports will as its been over a year since i purchased it and I dont know where the reciept is, Im sure i have it its just a matter of where.

anyways, Ill update you next time something happens, I may send it off today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats my hope, that they send me a new gun, but again, is it just luck of the draw with these guns?

I love the designs that ruger is coming out with lately, they really have some good stuff going on but not if the QC is not being upheld.

I dont know what else they would do to this gun to get it working after all they did last time. Upon examination today it almost appears that the inside of the frame is making contact with the trigger bar. the polymer material at that point is quite thin and may be slightly warped inward, causing friction on the trigger bar. this is just speculation as that wouldnt explain why it happens only ever so often.

anyways, they are supposed to get it Tuesday, im sure they will notify me pretty quickly what the deal is.

Their customer service is nothing but exemplary, but that doesn't matter if the product wont work.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
I have an SR9C that has been essentially flawless (even shoots my reloads) and I used to have an SR45 that was a nightmare. Many people have had light strike issues with the 45 acp version. I wound up trading that one in on a Sig P320C in 45 acp, but I still swear by my SR9C. I'm really hoping they sort this thing out for you. For what it's worth, I've never been fond of Blazer Brass, but that's another subject altogether.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an SR9C that has been essentially flawless (even shoots my reloads) and I used to have an SR45 that was a nightmare. Many people have had light strike issues with the 45 acp version. I wound up trading that one in on a Sig P320C in 45 acp, but I still swear by my SR9C. I'm really hoping they sort this thing out for you. For what it's worth, I've never been fond of Blazer Brass, but that's another subject altogether.

Yeah I know its not the best, but the neither is Tulammo, and it worked fine, and the 147 grain Remington is pretty decent quality, same issue.

I really do hope it gets sorted out, I really love the pistol otherwise, my buddy is trying to convince me to trade it in for a SW MPshield compact, but to me that pistol just doesnt stack up to the sr9c in terms of features. there's a reason I decided to get the ruger, it was the closest fit for my criteria.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Yeah I know its not the best, but the neither is Tulammo, and it worked fine, and the 147 grain Remington is pretty decent quality, same issue.

I really do hope it gets sorted out, I really love the pistol otherwise, my buddy is trying to convince me to trade it in for a SW MPshield compact, but to me that pistol just doesnt stack up to the sr9c in terms of features. there's a reason I decided to get the ruger, it was the closest fit for my criteria.
I agree.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:

The gun is on its way back, meaning its not a new one but the same one. they replaced pretty much all the same parts and put another 60 rounds through it with no malfunctions.... but I told them i put 150 through it, the first 55-60 were fine then the issues started, I had hoped they would put more rounds through it.

She said well its already on its way back, if it happens again well have to take it from there.

I just hope it works this time. I like getting all the practice in but i cant keep shooting soo much just to make sure it works.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.