Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I posted this earlier today. I guess it didn't work.
My wife and I are considering an SR9. The reviews and the information looks good. Does anybody have any real life experience with one? I would love to hear what somebody who isn't a paid reviewer has to say.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I bought my wife one for her birthday. We haven't shot it yet.

It has a great feel. Well balanced. The grip is amazingly thin for the magazine capacity. It fits her well and she says it's comfortable. I like the grip myself and I have large hands. But I'm a 1911 fan, so I'm used to thin single stack grips. The slide is easy to operate. It's a little stiff, but some use and CLP should help. My wife is a total noob and she has no problems operating it.

The trigger is also smooth and easy for her to operate.

The sights are OK. Normal 3-dot style.

Hopefully we'll have a chance to shoot it this coming Saturday and I can post some more thoughts.

The thought of my wife being "gun savvy" still worries me a bit. When I make her mad, she always says "I know where you sleep!"

I should have bought her sexy lingerie. :34:

Irony: Buying your wife a pistol. Teaching her to shoot it. Getting shot with it, by her.

·
Super Moderator
16,880 Posts
hmm Ive been looking at this pistol too, Ive been reading a lot of reviews, most of which are very positive.

The two biggest problems I read that other people have are 1. Its next to impossible to fully load the 17 round magazines without the tool (and even then its a pain) and 2. The trigger is a bit "gritty".

Anyone else have any personal expirience that they an share?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I looked at one yesterday in a shop and it felt amazing in the hands. Very well balanced. I would like to get one also.....

·
Super Moderator
16,880 Posts
After doing some research apparently the trigger is about 6.5 lbs or a bit heavier than that of a glock. The gun has a magazine disconnect safety. And the gun was not meant to be dry fired without a magazine in as it can cause wear/damage damage to the parts. If you attempt a trigger squeeze without a mag in than the trigger is hard and gritty but it functions normally and is quite smooth with it in.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
I personally can't say anything good or bad about the Ruger SR9. But I think I remember someone saying on here a while back that it was getting some bad reviews. Do a search in either general hand guns or Ruger. Try and find the last one or 2, or however many previous threads on this. There may be more info in them. I do know it was brought up before though... Also, if you go to the home page of G&G, in the upper right hand corner of the page you'll see something called FEATURED REVIEWS. I believe it is also reviewed in there by one or 2 persons?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,605 Posts
Interesting thing on the mag disconect safety. This was printed by a G&A review. Obviously, don't take everyhting you read as gospil & you assume your own safety and legal risk.

"One aspect of modern pistol design that always causes arguments is the subject of a magazine safety: yes or no? The Ruger SR9 has one, but it is not only the best of both worlds, it is the best of either. First, it does not add parts to the trigger linkage. The magazine disconnector/safety is activated by one of the magazine feed lips. When the magazine is out, it blocks the striker. When it is in, the striker has clearance. It does nothing to the trigger pull, whether the safety itself is in or out of the slide. And best of all, you can remove it in less than a minute. If you don't want it in, take it out. If you simply must have it in, put it back."
Ruger Model SR9 9mm SemiAuto Pistol

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I handled one in the past when I was getting ready to buy a handgun. I loved the fit and finish. It felt great in my hand, and the thumb safety was a plus.

What I didn't like was the trigger. It was more gritty and heavier than the M&P trigger.

The M&P also had a slightly longer barrel.

As a result, I ended up going with the S&W M&P. Ruger makes great handguns, and if the trigger doesn't bother you, then I would definitely grab it. It is more than likely very accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I took mine out. Took me more than a minute, but less than five minutes. Now I don't have to worry about dry firing without the magazine in place. It's in the box in case I ever decide to put it back - which I doubt...

I really like my SR9 and I have had zero problems or jams thru about 800 or so rounds...

"One aspect of modern pistol design that always causes arguments is the subject of a magazine safety: yes or no? The Ruger SR9 has one, but it is not only the best of both worlds, it is the best of either. First, it does not add parts to the trigger linkage. The magazine disconnector/safety is activated by one of the magazine feed lips. When the magazine is out, it blocks the striker. When it is in, the striker has clearance. It does nothing to the trigger pull, whether the safety itself is in or out of the slide. And best of all, you can remove it in less than a minute. If you don't want it in, take it out. If you simply must have it in, put it back."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts