RUGER vs BROWNING vs S&W

Discussion in '.22/rimfire' started by COYOTE10663, Sep 10, 2010.

Ruger vs. Browning vs. S&W 22A

Poll closed Sep 20, 2010.
  1. Ruger 2245

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Browning Buckmark

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Smith & Wesson 22A

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. COYOTE10663

COYOTE10663 G&G Newbie

Looking at a new pistol for .22 Steel shooting.
    Have narrowed down to 3.
    RUGER 2245
    Browning Buckmark
    Smith & Wesson 22A

All 3 are good guns. But what is the majority opinion on what is BEST! ;-)

2. Actually,

it is up to you to handle the guns in question to find the best fit in terms of weight, balance, sight picture, trigger pull, and hand/grip fit.

That is the best gun for you and that is all that matters.

What is best for you might not be what is best for me.

3. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Evangelist

Why aren't you looking at the Ruger Mark III? I have that one, the competition model and a Browning Buckmark. Both are the most accurate 22s I've ever shot. I put a scope on the Ruger (2.5 x 8) and left the Browning without. That way I can take both and shoot whichever one I want at whatever I want.

4. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

I'd honestly put OTHER...A High Standard pistol of some sort...
    Preferrably a nice used New Haven, Conn model.

I've got a 1941 Model B...it puts the bullets right where I aim...most natural pistol I've owned yet.
    ME LIKEY!! :D

Although the rat & two snakes I've shot this month are NOT liking it a bit ;)

5. Have to agree the High Standards are good pistols, the one I have is more accurate than my Ruger Standard and my Ruger MkI's. But I must say it's a close call.

6. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Well I voted ruger because I have shot several that are very nice and very accurate, but they are not the 22/45 they are target mk IIs. I do however have a 22a (my only 22 pistol) and I absolutely love it for the price. With quality ammo it shoots 10 shots inside of an inch at 25 yards off bags (I have a red dot site on it). I would say any of the three would suit you very well.

7. COYOTE10663

COYOTE10663 G&G Newbie

I just dont cotton to the grip angle of the standard Rugers. This grip angle is why I ommited the Berreta U22.

The High Standard I owned for a long time & never really liked it so I sold it to my 1st cousin.

8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

I'd go Browning.

Ruger ain't what it used to be & niether is S&W.

9. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I have owned both Ruger and S&W. And have shot the browning. All are great pistols and accurate. I voted for the Ruger just because I liked my Ruger better.

I still have the 22A and I can say it is a very accurate little pistol. Well made and well balanced.

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Of those listed, I picked the Buckmark. A great shooting pistol that does not require a second elbow on one arm to disassemble. I agree with Nathangdad in that you should hold all 3 and see what fits best. That is the only real way to tell. Seeing as how you don't like the grip angles of the older Rugers, my recommendation for a Ruger MK II Target doesn't help much.

11. COYOTE10663

COYOTE10663 G&G Newbie

A small "mom & pop" gunshop in a little BoDunk town about an hour from here has a 5.5" bbl MKIII 2245 Ruger, very slighty used (Less than 1000 rds through it) For $229.00 Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!
    Said they would also allow me $175.00 for my well worn NAA Black Widow on trade. Mesa 'tinks mesa needs to get that one!

BTW: I really did like the feel of the S&W 22A better, but the Ruger 2245 was a VERY close second. ( And the Browning was a very close third! lol )

12. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Just found an S&W 22A in Pensacola, FL...Message me if anyone wants to know where to find it. ;)

I was just at the store & picked up a Marlin 56, saw the S&W 22a, & a Keltec P3at in OD green.
    I might go back for the Keltec next Friday ;)