Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ruger's SP 101 has got a new chambering named the .327 Fedral Magnum !!!
The case of this new cartridge is 1/8 "(1.200 ) longer than the .32 H&R magnum.
The case walls are beefed up for greater strenght.
Rugers engineer wanted the case to be able to handle up to 45,000 psi of pressure.

Federal and Speer have planed 3 different loadings for this new cartridge.
The first loading will be packaged in Federal boxes
and has an 85-grain federal Hydra-Shock bullet and muzzle velocity of 1330 fps in the 3" 1/16 inch barrel of the SP 101.
This loading was designed to be a low recoil round
and will generate just 334 ft-lbs of energy.
It was also tested in an 18 1/2 inch barrel and produced a muzzle velocity of some 1830 fps.

The 2nd. loading that will be packaged under the American Eagle box is a 100-grain Federal softpoint.
This round will go 1400 fps at the muzzle and produces about 435 ft-lbs of energy.
Out of the same carbine 2010 fps.

The 3rd. loading is to be packaged in Speer boxes
and is topped off with a 115 grain Speer Gold Dot
hollowpoint bullet.
This load does 1300 fps at the muzzle and generates about 431 ft-lbs.
Fired from the 18 1/2 inch cabine, the Gold Dot loads run 1750 fps.

A full lenght detailed range report can be found in the Febuary copy of Shooting Times magazine.

I hope we see a Leveraction chambered for the .327 too.

A.H

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might even be interested in one later on. I have yet to see and handle a
Ruger SP 101 revolver.
So I don't know how small they are or anything.

·
Registered
362 Posts
they are a nice small frame revolver, have one in 32h&r and like it a lot. just wish they would put fully adj. sights on them instead of just side to side.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Risk with new cartridges

Ruger is especially aggressive in putting out new cartridges and new gun chamberings at this moment. Note the history of firearms is paved with good cartridges that just did not make it in the marketplace. This cartridge might gain in popularity or the chambering might quietly disappear from Ruger's catalog in a couple of years. It is the risk of buying into any new cartridge/gun combo. For what it's worth I think this is a good idea in a very crowded field of handgun cartridges.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
ive already got one in .357
would i buy another in a new caliber that is less powerful?
nope!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Yeah, I don't see the point of it either. Smaller diameter makes it less good for personal defense because it would penetrate farther and hit less hard. For hunting I don't see a niche that it fills. So that leaves target shooting at pistol ranges. I'm sure low recoil would ge good, but for a target only pistol I don't see what it has on the 22LR.

And this is from a guy who loves the idea of new cartridges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
327 Mag

I went to Cabela's to get some 357 Mag ammo and picked up 327 by mistake. When I got home I loaded my super Blackhawk with about two of them, before I realized they were the wrong size. They will slide thriugh the chambers, but not the barrell. Since they serve no purpose or need I don't understand why they are even made. If I can find some poor sucker that bought one I will give him the shells out of pity. If you have one stock up on brass as in a year or so they will be collector's items at the gun shows. Hey I may just keep these for an investment. Oh well for those of you that enjoy the latest fad, have fun.:34:

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Ruger makes the gun for the bullets and Federal makes the bullets for the gun. Only one's that makes either. Suppose to be close to .357 but without the recoil or the cost? Problem is, they could decide @ anytime down the road to stop making if not enough get bought, then what? Could always reload I suppose?

Be glad they slipped through the cylinder. Had they not, you just might have fired off a few and found out that way?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like a gun made for a guy like me, I used to run out and buy all the new stuff. That's why I have a single six in 32 H&R magnum in my gun cabinet. Love the gun and the round...problem is, it never became popular enough for the cost of the ammo to be reasonable. Of course I haven't checked in many years...maybe things have changed.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Risk factor

If you read some gun magazines from, say five or six years ago, you will find a host of cartridge introductions that had good points but did not make it in what is truly and over saturated marketplace.

It takes customers to keep a cartridge in production and this one may or may not make it.

So, the risk factor is that you could buy a new gun and then be scrambling for higher priced ammo components in a few years.

Personally, I don't see the ad/promotion campaign for this cartridge that will generate demand in the general marketplace. So, I would not put money into this gun but we are all different and this might be the way you wish to go. Good luck.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I've held one at the shop, and it's a nice feeling little pistol. I don't get the need for the new cartridge though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a .32 H&R mag. which now thanks to BCA (Bowen Classic Arms) is a .327 Fed mag. The cylinder for the H&R mag is within a few thou of the length of the SP101 cylinder in .357 mag. (I have both) so the rechamber is a "breeze". Unfortunately that is not true for the Single-Six in the .32 H&R. Oh, the Single-Six can be converted to the new Federal round, but needs both a new barrel and cylinder. Maybe the powers at Sturm/Ruger will get on the ball and offer the Single-Six in the new round soon, I'll be one of the first in line when and if they do.

IMHO, the mainest advantage of having the .327 is that it shoots 6 rather than 5 times.:)

For those interested:

+ C A T A L O G + (go to projects and scroll down to the article on the .327)

The New .327 Federal Magnum in Ruger?s SP101 Compact Six-Shot Revolver

Freedom Arms Model 97 & Single Action Service Custom Ruger Revolvers Chambered for the New .327 Federal Magnum

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/Projects.htm

·
Handgunner
9,181 Posts
Is this thing destined to go the way of the .357 Maximum and the soon to be discontinued .480 Ruger? They've been hyping the .327 for over a year now while the Taurus Judge stole the show. Stay tuned folks!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
So sad. It's a cute little cartridge that does well from short barrels and makes for an interesting small frame snubbie revolver. It deserves more attention. What's the difference between a .357 and a .327? .....The .327 gives A Whooooole lot better velocity from a 3" barrel with a tid-bit smaller bullet and a lot less recoil and muzzle flash. Needs to be looked at.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The 357 in the wheel gun has proved itself,no other cartridge has been trusted as a sd weapon more. How is the 327 going to take away anyone from buying a 357?
Only a couple of guns available expensive ammo thats hard to find, not proven on the street. It offers nothing new.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,602 Posts
Judge, double yawn
Mine aren't so boring... :)

Judges can be quite versitile pistols; albeit a bit bulky. Anyway, if you don' like the 410 they're certainly accurate enough for a 3" self defense pistol with the .45 Colts. Fun to bust clays with at times too.

The advantage of the 327 is an extra shot in a snubby (without increasing the size). The drawback might be longevity if it doesn't catch on.

People scoffed at the .40 too.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
come to think of it.
i didnt buy a .40 either...:09:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts