Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious, if someone wanted to sell a Mosin to make way for another, what are the regulations on selling one? I've heard that those with a C&R license must keep track of acquisitions and sales, but how 'bout the rest of us regular Joe's? Does one have to go through the hassle of finding a gun shop or private dealer with an FFL to facilitate the transfer?

I'm in California, so I am sure the rules are strict here...

Thanks!

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
In California, all firearms transfers must be made through an FFL holder unless it's something like father-to-son. To the best of my knowledge, unless you sell it to someone with some sort of license you'll have to look one up and give him his pound of flesh.

But what's this stuff about "making room"? Don't you know Mosins are herd animals? The more of them you cram together the happier they are, and one by himself is likely to rust away from loneliness.

My personal credo is, "money comes and money goes, but tools and guns are forever." Years ago in my foolish youth, I sold a backpack .22 rifle and a .38/200 Webley revolver for gas money to get to a job in another state, and my conscience still bothers me. If I had it to do over, I'd rob a gas station instead.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
My understanding is that you can sell it to a person and hand it to them and walk away. This is because it is 50 years old or more. I don't know that for 100 percent fact, but I've been told that by many vendors at gun shows and have seen people exchange them and walk away.

I agree with Troy. Just keep it. How much are you wanting for it anyways?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,706 Posts
Depends on where you live. Here in sunny Florida, private sales are legal - you might get a bill of sale to be on the safe side. But, he pays you, you give him the gun, nuff said. However, you do want to try to be sure he's not a convicted felon - bad juju if he is.
But, I've bought guns from range buddies before - exchange gun and money, and a good handshake finishes the deal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checking out of general curiosity. We've bonded, and I'd never get rid of her unless she really gets me upset, like blowing up with some strange, Mongolian 215 grain handloaded ammo... :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
eww dose wascally mongowean hand wodes..........:)

as I understand it ...
private sales person to person are not restricted

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Heck, here in Tx. we can sell or trade them in the parking lot of the local 7-11 while drinking beer. Ever now and then we even test fire them at the empty cans. :D :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts