Russian Ammo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by privateer, May 4, 2008.

1. Hi everybody, I spent yesterday at the local range, was burning up 45acp and 44mag ammo trying to hit golfballs at the 50yrd line (I sucked) :)
    anyway like some of you I love the smell of burnt gun-powder and was enjoying the sights /sounds and smells of the range "UNTIL" the guy on the next bench busted open a brick of russian (wolf) 9mm. geeez that stuff stinks and you can taste it in the air it has an acidy smell to it. What is that ? ? I dont know if this is old soviet ammo or new stuff but **** ...

2. and that is why I don't shoot russian BS. it isn't corrosive but probably shatty ball powder for god sakes they use steel cases... not bad for practice but I don't like it my friend uses the crap but has to clean the pistol really good

3. Enscribe

Enscribe G&G Newbie

its all relative to price my friends.

4. Well,

whatever it is (as the saying goes) it is ammo from a nation with a history of results over consumer enjoyment.

As is sometimes said of things, it just might be GOK (God Only Knows)
    what else is in it but it does work.

Good luck and good shooting.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

There is nothing wrong with steel cased ammo, It is a very soft steel barely a step above Brass... If your gun steel was as soft, it would blow up in your face on the first shot. Steel is More economical than Brass, and actually more environmentally Friendly, since it rusts and dissolves in a few years compared to brass, which doesn't... Contrary to popular Myth, It does not wear out your chamber any faster than brass does. The Euro- powders are usually a double based Nitrocellulose and they do have a different smell to them than our Gunpowder does because of different compositions and raw materials used in the Manufacturing process....
    Rich

6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Maybe it wan't the powder, but the guy usig it, LOL !!

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Hmmm, nitrocellulose Aqua Velvet. We could be on to something here.

8. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Should have offered him a splash of Hoppe's....

9. Geez you guys are awesome, always good for useful info and a good laugh.

10. Nitrocellulose is also known as Guncotton.
    It is made by dipping one part of cotton wool to be immersed in fifteen parts of an equal blend of sulfuric and nitric acids. After two minutes the cotton was removed and washed in cold water to set the esterification level and remove all acid residue. It was then slowly dried at a temperature below 100°C.

It is funny that the person who really developed this process a Scientist named Christian Friedrich Schonbein, a German-Swiss chemist, was dissolving almost everything in a solution of sulfuric and nitric acids. He was puzzled when he tried to dissolve a cotton apron and it wouldnt dissolve. He hung it on his radiator to dry and went home to lunch. The guncotton detonated and burned his lab to the ground.

Guncotton preparation was refined over the years. It was found that when guncotton was mixed with different solvents or emulsifiers or plasticizers different products could be made from it. Nitrate film, lacquer for guitars, nail polish, magicians flash paper and hair coloring to name a few.

Eventually a guncotton like preperation was used to make smokeless powder. In the West one of the main uses for guncotton was the large white "bales" Battleship large guns used to propel their huge rounds.
    The Eastern Bloc countries use a larger percentage of Nitrocellulose in their smokeless powder rounds. Thus they tend to have a more acidic smell to them.

11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

A lot of people don't cotton to guns.:09:

12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I had to revisit this thread !! I love what you get on these threads. From light hearted buffoonery to a scientific discussion. PRICELESS !!

13. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Yep, you never know what you are going to find, anything from a good laugh to great information.