Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about assult rifle laws and was wondering what makes one legal or illegal. I'm looking into buying a russian made sks it says 1954 on it. this rifle has a bayonet and a detachable mag. also a dragunov stock. I dont want to buy something I cant own and was wondering if it would be legal or not.

What makes one illegal is really the question I guess?

thanks for advice in advance

Phin

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
How much are they wanting for it? As for it being legal or illegal, as long as it only fires one round with one pull of the trigger, I wouldn't worry about it. My guess is the mag is American made, along with the stock.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
especially for a russian pred. my dad got our Tula(1954 also i think) for about that back in the day. russians are pretty dried up so get it! what i suggest after that is to get a mil stock and fixed 10 rd mag!

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
I think I saw a Russian SKS at a show a few years back. Even then they wanted something like $275-$300 for it.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Buy it and take the stock off. Get your hands on a replacement stock and a standard fixed mag. You will be happier with the results, you will know it is legal, and it will be worth a great deal more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought it, offered the guy $125 and he took it. guess he was hard up for cash. so now I need to find a new stock and a fixed clip then. Im assuming they arnt trashed by some one doing a mode to make the clip detachable then.

btw all the numbers match.

Phin

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would change it back to stok configuration, especially if it is a Tula. For 150 I wouldn't care if it was convered in duct tape and super glue. This guy has a lot of period correct stuff, but you might have to e-mail him for the really period correct.

SKS Parts and Accessories

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
He had a lot more correct stocks before, I guess he sold em all, but I'm sure he has a few more somewhere. On a gun like that, the best thing you can do is change it back to original.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
I agree with SKS,buy it and return it to original as possible!:nod:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Go for it. $150 for an SKS is a deal anymore.
I'll Second That! $150 for a RUSSIAN SKS is a GREAT price.They go for about 3-400$ now depending on condition. See if he has the original magazine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts