close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

?? Rust Prevention ??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by keppler, Jun 27, 2002.

1. keppler

keppler G&G Newbie

I was wondering if anybody has used the silicone impregnated gun socks for rifle storage? Does the silicone affect the wood? Any thought or ideas would be appreciated and maybe some suggestions on other types of storage items. Mostly I'm needing to keep the humidity and dust off.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I use them on all my long arms and they have not affected the wood in any way. Stored a gun for two years in one, pulled it out, just as nice and shiney as when I put it in!

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I have always rubbed down my guns with a silicone cloth. It's good for the metal,wood and leather,plus,it gives it a nice sheen and keeps the glint down,so it won't give away your position.

4. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

keppler, if you are just going to store your gun in a closet for a wile you don't need to do alot to store it.at least not as much as if you were going to store it in the back forty. Clean everything in side and out, and for storage use a grease on the outside and in the bore just a good coat not to heavy one.(I use super lube) Then put it in a gun sock,put that in a rifle storage bag, put in a desi pak and a rust-blox tab or two, draw as much air out of the bag as you can and seal the end and you are done. The desi will get rid of any humidity in the bag, and the rifle will be rust and dust free when you need it. That is my 2 cents anyway but it works... :cool:

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Keppler:

I'm using a silicone inpregnated gun sock on my 03A3 and it's working great. No signs of rust. I'm convinced that it's better than being stored in the open or in a sealed gun case.

Within a month I expect to have my new gun case and cabinet completed so I'll put them there, along with moisture removing crystals to reduce the problem.

Oxford

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I use them even on stainless steel...

7. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Be careful of silicone if you plan to refinish anything around the house.
    Doing something is better than doing nothing.
    I like the Tuff Coth www.sentrysolutions.com. I carry one to wipe guns I handled at gun shows, including @ home. + I don't like my prints on general public guns.
    Wipe 'em down often, just an excuse to handle them more often!