close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rust Resistant Finishes

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

My little Winchester pumpgun needs a rust resistant finish to protect it from heat & humidity....I like hard chrome except for the look...I've heard of black chrome...sounds cool to me :cool: Any suggestions ? :fuss: :rolleyes:

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    If your serious, an option may be www.robarguns.com go to metal finishes. They do nice work.

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

What about parkerizing or Magnacoat?

4. jerry

USA
    familiar w/ parker, how does Magna work?

5. NRAJOE

Supposed to be like parkerization but smoother and semi-glosstype finish. Withstood some mega hour salt test.

6. I'd stay away from the black chrome. It does look kinda neat but its main function is to absorb heat from the sun. I have worked with it for many years on solar equipment. If the sun hits it it will get too hot to handle. I've got a lot of burns to prove it. Under the right conditions it can easily exceed 200 degrees.

7. What about teflon coat? I've seen it on a custom 7mm ultra mag. really looked sweet.

8. NRAJOE

Practically the same as Magnacoat.

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Check out www.shootiniron.com. Mac has some awesome finishes in what he calls Tuff-Gun. It's a Parkerized undercoat with a special overcoat that is guaranteed to never rust again. All internals are treated, too. Great design/color schemes are available. Good luck...

10. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Rattlesnakebite would black chrome be hotter than the bluing currently on it ?

11. NRAJOE

Thanks Calvin,looks cool.

12. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Xtremecote, MilSpec Armor Coatings and HHC CO. did my M1

WOW!

Eight colors. The guy said to leave it in a river. It won't rust ever again. Made my 1944 look brand new.

P.M. Me and ill send you his phone number.

13. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Karl Sokol has a finish called Moutaintuff. It is basically parkerizing with a moly- bake-on finish. Really nice and affordable. On stainless guns he bead-blasts instead of parkerizing.

Jesse

14. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

The Molly Coat finish is one of high recommendations, many firearms such as long rifles are coated in that, and I highly recommend that.

15. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

There's also certain dupont coatings that'll work, but you have to be careful.

16. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I had one af my Taurus .357's done in the Black-T finish. It's your basic black color, and kinda feels/looks like a Parkerizing job, but it's a moly-coat finish. It has been very good so far, but it took 3 months to get it back. It also cost $200, which I felt was a little steep. Then again, it's got a lifetime warranty on it.
    Had my Romanian SAR-1 done in Mac's Tuff-Gun and Tuff-Stock finish, and I absolutely love it! Had the tiger stripe camo pattern with urban colors. All the mags were done in the same scheme, and the stock was also done. Little pricey, but I am gonna send him more buisness because I think it's the best going. 2-week turnaround, and only 1 week if law enforcement/armed security.

17. Logansdad..Yup the black chrome would be hotter. It is designed to trap different wavelengths like ultraviolet and infared radiation. The blueing primarily traps the visible light spectrum. Black chrome will get surprisingly hot on even a cloudy or overcast day.

18. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Well Jerry I like the NP3

19. jerry

USA
    my friend had his 1911 done in it, I'll be shooting with him today. never heard a complaint. I cant remember what he paid, this was about 8 years ago, good to check the pricing.

20. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I expect it will be expensive...