Registered
3,372 Posts
I am on the fence.
My dry tumble works good
But i like shiny too.
But then i think of the money to switch
Then i like shiny
Repeat
I like shiney too. For too many years I couldn't figure out how to clean inside cases, until I found G&G. I was given a half case of 45 ACP brass that had been sitting up for God knows how many years. My main reason for cleaning inside of cases is for clean setting for bullet into case. These 45s are in really grungy condition. I've run them in a dry tumbler all night with corn cobb media and it cleans them but not to my satisfaction. I also have walnut but its my understanding walnut is used for really dirty brass. I've used them both.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm resurrecting my own zombie thread. I found it while searching for info on wet tumbling. this forum is a wealth of info!
so far I am still useing the dry tumbler.:rolleyes:
I finally broke down and bought a wet pin tumbler. today I tumbled some 300 Blk & 10mm. it really works good and is quicker than dry tumbling. no pins got stuck in any flash holes. I de-primed my brass before tumbling because I was having problems with seating the primers all the way in my 10mm loads. when I shot them in my striker fired XDm I would get light primer strikes on the high primers. never had any problem before with other pistols. before I got the wet tumbler, I cleaned a bunch of the 10mm brass's primer pockets and that solved the problem. so I decided to get the wet tumbler and clean all my primer pockets. I re-sized & belled the case mouths after tumbling.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I use both wet and dry tumbling but I do have to say I do more wet tumbling now than before . I made my tumbler out of a paper folder I got from a print shop that would not fold papers the way they wanted the machine I had to do some moving of the rollers to get to work right then I made 2 drums out of 6 inch pvc with a end cap that unscrewed to put in and take out the brass I leave the brass in for about 2 hr it comes out cleane and shinny I also like to decap my brass I had troubles once after I let my brass sit for a few months in getting the primmers out to dry my brass I put in the hot Florida sun or take a hot air gun and dry them that way I was told by a friend of mine that putting brass in your oven is not a good idea you could contaminate your stove with lead I really do not know for sure but I am not willing to take a chance with my familys health eather and that is how I do it D Crockett

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
I used Frankford stuff for wet tumbling. It is Gangdog's fault. He posted too many pictures of shiny brass. If he was still here, I would thank him for that. I've never looked back. Had to spend some money but am very happy with the result.

One caution - be very very careful to make sure your brass is bone dry before loading it. I use compressed air and then a food dehydrator for a few hours. One speck of water will kill a primer.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I clean brass so it doesn’t have grit on it to wear my resizing dies. Not so it will be shiny. The primer pockets don’t have to be perfectly clean just flat on the bottom so the new primer sits right. I built my own wet tumbler, it’s big enough I can clean 1500 9mm or 750 223/5.56 at a time.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts