Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a S&W 357 MAGNUM FROM A FRIEND OF MINE A FEW YEARS BACK. JUST WOULD LIKE SOME BACKGROUND ON THIS PISTOL. WHICH IS A 13-2 SERIAL # 9D32890

·
Registered
895 Posts
Need more info. The model 13 is a K frame 6 shooter, the basic frame with a heavy barrel and fixed sight. They came in 3 and 4 inch barrels, square butt and round butt. The 3 inch was the issue gun of the FBI at one time. The stainless version is the model 65. The 65 was the second gun I carried as a police officer. The heavy barrel was said to help hold the gun down from muzzle flip. I beg to differ. With full power 357s, the short guns all have muzzle flip.

They are basically bomb proof, no sights to hang onto anything or likely to break. In law enforcement we believed the heavy barrel was like a 7th round, an extra measure of use as a club. Actually if you compare to say a model 19, the forward balance does give it an advantage for striking in the 4 inch configuration.

Having acquired many other revolvers, each for some best or best imagined use, I cut mine from a square butt to a round butt which allowed the use of smaller grips. I then prepared a cross-draw holster onto a military gun belt with a knife on the right side. The model 65 and that belt combo became my go-to rig for wear when horseback riding and it is still set up that way. I now use it for 4 x 4s as I can no longer ride horses.

The model 65 is an excellent choice for a bug out or emergency bag. Mine is reasonably accurate and would work for small game with 38s and probably good from a rest for deer at maybe 50 yards.

It appears you gun was made in 1981. If so, it should have the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders which certainly adds collector value.

Excellent gun.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
depends on who your trying to sell it to.
i'd go maybe as high as 200 bucks, the next guy maybe 4-500.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need more info. The model 13 is a K frame 6 shooter, the basic frame with a heavy barrel and fixed sight. They came in 3 and 4 inch barrels, square butt and round butt. The 3 inch was the issue gun of the FBI at one time. The stainless version is the model 65. The 65 was the second gun I carried as a police officer. The heavy barrel was said to help hold the gun down from muzzle flip. I beg to differ. With full power 357s, the short guns all have muzzle flip.

They are basically bomb proof, no sights to hang onto anything or likely to break. In law enforcement we believed the heavy barrel was like a 7th round, an extra measure of use as a club. Actually if you compare to say a model 19, the forward balance does give it an advantage for striking in the 4 inch configuration.

Having acquired many other revolvers, each for some best or best imagined use, I cut mine from a square butt to a round butt which allowed the use of smaller grips. I then prepared a cross-draw holster onto a military gun belt with a knife on the right side. The model 65 and that belt combo became my go-to rig for wear when horseback riding and it is still set up that way. I now use it for 4 x 4s as I can no longer ride horses.

The model 65 is an excellent choice for a bug out or emergency bag. Mine is reasonably accurate and would work for small game with 38s and probably good from a rest for deer at maybe 50 yards.

It appears you gun was made in 1981. If so, it should have the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders which certainly adds collector value.

Excellent gun.
Thank You For Your Reply. As For More Info. What Added Info Do You Need..

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm wondering what a Model 65 in good condition is worth these days.
$850-$1,000. The pre-82 models with the pinned barrel at the top of the range. Armslist shows only one in the nation today, for $800. It is the newer gun with the press fit barrel and the firing pin not mounted on the hammer, and no recessed cylinder, ie the bottom of the line. The older guns have collector value and even the new Smith and Wessons are inferior in many ways, so the early ones are the real deal and nice one should bring in the range of $1,000. The round butt is more desirable especially with the 3 inch barrel. Good luck finding one.

The stainless used in those guns scratches fairly easy and will show up on those highly polished guns. So, today SW puts a crappy matt finish on them so they do not highlight the scratches. The dealers that I know just put them on a polishing wheel and bring them to a mirror image which brings the big bucks. So, anybody wanting to sell one should just do that, they look really good. Same with the model 60, 64, 66, 67 and 629.

There were thousands of police trade-ins that flooded the market a few years ago and lowered the price. Even those would bring a premium today. Even the Taurus copy in blue will bring $475-$500. FWIW

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thank You For Your Reply. As For More Info. What Added Info Do You Need..
See my comment #7. The 3 inch is more desirable, especially with the round butt. Not much I could add. I would never sell one of them, just pass them down.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was curious, I thought S&W had discontinued that model. The wife has a Mod 66 that she is very fond of, she carried one on duty when she was a Peace Officer.
They have discontinued those models. The pinned barrels all went away by 1982, then the continued by various model numbers remaining the same,just adding a dash for the newest version. By the time they added the safety lock the finish had gotten all matt and flat and they all have floating firing pins. I have 4 of the newer guns. The trigger pull is fine and they all lock up fine, which is all that matters for function. But I have a pile of old ones that just show a higher level of craft in the making. So, to my mind, to day, you might as well by a Taurus, who has come up dramatically in quality.

The question was what was the value of the old smith in great shape. With a little polish they look and function great and will last forever. IMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See my comment #7. The 3 inch is more desirable, especially with the round butt. Not much I could add. I would never sell one of them, just pass them down.
Mine is the 3 inch with The Rounded Handle and in extremely excellent condition.. Again Thanks For Your input! And Yes, I’m Not Wanting to sell it either! Just love the Balanced Weight It Has! And I Keep it in a Padded Zip Gun Bag To Protect it when it Isn’t In Use! Was Looking For A Good Concealed Holster For It!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
$850-$1,000. The pre-82 models with the pinned barrel at the top of the range. Armslist shows only one in the nation today, for $800. It is the newer gun with the press fit barrel and the firing pin not mounted on the hammer, and no recessed cylinder, ie the bottom of the line. The older guns have collector value and even the new Smith and Wessons are inferior in many ways, so the early ones are the real deal and nice one should bring in the range of $1,000. The round butt is more desirable especially with the 3 inch barrel. Good luck finding one.

The stainless used in those guns scratches fairly easy and will show up on those highly polished guns. So, today SW puts a crappy matt finish on them so they do not highlight the scratches. The dealers that I know just put them on a polishing wheel and bring them to a mirror image which brings the big bucks. So, anybody wanting to sell one should just do that, they look really good. Same with the model 60, 64, 66, 67 and 629.

There were thousands of police trade-ins that flooded the market a few years ago and lowered the price. Even those would bring a premium today. Even the Taurus copy in blue will bring $475-$500. FWIW
Thank you Sir.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts