Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:werd:

Before buying this handgun, I was debating between the XD and M&P, between the 9mm and .45acp, between the 4.25" barrel and 5" barrel.

I went with the M&P in 9mm, which has a 4.25" barrel. The capacity is 17+1, double action only, novak sights, yata yata...Pretty much a Glock that I can hold that is made in Massachusetts.

Upon buying it, I took it to the range with 200 rounds of winchester white box bulk ammo. I was honestly a bit scared, because even though I had run through dry fire exercises with snap caps, I didn't know what to expect. I had never fired a semi-automatic handgun before.

I setup at 30feet, and aimed the gun where I thought I should. I squeezed the trigger as best as I could, and the gun fired. The first thing that I noticed was that the bullet landed about 3 inches left, and 2 inches low. If this was a rifle, I would have been upset, but I was actually quite pleased.

The 2nd thing that I noticed was that the next cartridge had successfully loaded into the chamber.

16 shots later, and I had a nice jagged circle about 3 inches left, 2 inches low. This is the same problem that I've had in the past with new revolvers, where I don't know the trigger pull, and anticipate the breaking of the trigger. I'm hoping it will fix with time.

Then I did something that was probably horrible for my trigger control, but something that I had to do to convince me that the gun was good.

I loaded 2 magazines of 17 rounds, put 1 in the gun. I then moved to 20 feet from the target, and pretty much unloaded. It's something that makes me cringe when I see others do it at the range, so I was kind of being a hypocrite, but I had to do it.

A few seconds later, 17 rounds later, I dropped the mag, slammed the other one in, and dropped the slide release with ease. My insane rapid fire continued.

17 rounds later, no jams, and I had a nice spread of about 2 feet.... :hitwithrock:

I vow to never do that again, but I had to know if the gun would feed everything. It fed everything, all 200 rounds, no hiccups whatsoever.

The gun cost $420 (NIB) with 2 mags, and I will get $50 back plus 2 free magazines soon from S&W from a rebate offer that they have, which is good through the end of January 2008.

For more info:

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Sounds like a nice pistol. The rebate is a good deal!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Congratulations on your first pistol experience, Bravo! That sounds like a heck of a deal for the gun. I have two XD's (.45 & 9mm), but I'm always looking to expand the family. :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does the trigger compare to other auto pistols?
I wish I could say...I haven't fired any other Auto pistols..

To my standards, it's very smooth, and breaks clean. But there is a small amount of play before the break because it's double action, unlike the 1911.

But I think I will grow to like the trigger very much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, Bravo, $420 is a great price. Sportsman's Warehouse here in Ankeny, IA is selling them for $499. I really want one, but I'm hoping I can do better than $499. There is a gun show here in Des Moines this weekend, so hopefully I can get a lower price there. :burnout:

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
S&W M&P Pistols

I just wanted to say a bit here: I had a XD-40 and a XD-45. Loved both - both shot very well and accurate. Only problem is they are NOT left-handed friendly. Then the M&P's came out. I shot one and loved it. Very Left friendly and accurate with no feed/eject problems.
I now have an M&P 9mm, .40 Compact, .40 Full Size, and a M&P .45. I've shot each about 500+ times with no problems. Only thing is it's hard to find holsters although some Glock stuff works.

I should add this: I sold my XD's to pay for one M&P and a S&W .44 mag.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're having trouble finding holsters, I'd check out this online store:

osCommerce

I'm not sure if they have any for the .45, but they have ones that fit the 9mm/40, fullsize and compact.

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
CCI Blazer Brass & M&P .45ACP

I was at the range today. A while back I was at bought a box of of 50 CCI Blazer Brass 45Auto 230 gr. FMJ (out of the Winchester White). When I loaded them into the mag I noticed they didn't want to slide in as easily as usual. I have shot my M&P 45 about 500 times with only one problem. Today, after shooting 2 mags of Win Whites, I switched to the CCI. EVERY SHELL STUCK HALF WAY INTO THE CHAMBER! After I cleared, I re-inserted the shell manually and the action would not close 100%. After about 20 minutes of fighting with them I went back to my M&P 40.
Question: Any other issues like this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bravo .. or anyone ...$420 9mm

Where are you finding the M&P 9mm for $420 ????
I'm looking to buy but all are priced arounf $445

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought an S&W M&P in January as a result of the great rebate/2 free magazine deal S&W was offering. So far I have put about 30 rounds of Winchester .40 S&W through it without incident. I love the quality, looks, feel, trigger pull and especially the S&W lifetime warranty. Where else can you get a lifetime warranty on a production pistol? I had been interested in the XD, but got turned off when I found out that it is made in Croatia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
holster for S&W M&P 9

I have the S&W M&P 9 - IMHO a truly great pistol, especially for the price. I have a fantastic IWB holster, but I would like to find a belt holster that rides high for strong side carry, but that will be high enough to still conceal well. Mernickle has the PS6 rig that will supposedly fit the bill, but I am tired of Internet shopping only to find what I ordered does not really work like I thought. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Fobus makes the Evolution Paddle holster, SWMP specifically for the M&P. It is good for the 9mm or 40. I think the 45 may have a slightly bigger size. I have a 9 and a 40 so the vesatility of the holster is great for me. They are less then 30.00 also. Check it out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a M&P .40 that is jsut great. Put about 2500 rounds thru it last summer with no problems or issues. The trigger on mine was about like a Glock "New YorK" trigger - 7-8 lb pull. Not a big or hard job to get it down to where you like it. Mine is now about 3 lb but I do use it for a carry gun. I found that a holster (Fobus) for a Glock 17 fits real good for the .40.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Los Angeles Sheriff Dept. drops S&W M&P from service
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:56:50 AM »

SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT BROADCAST ANNOUNCEMENT

TRAINING BUREAU WEAPONS TRAINING

TO: ALL SWORN PERSONNEL

SUBJECT: OFFICER SAFETY ALERT - SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOLS

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS HAVE FORCED A DEPARTMENTAL RE-EVALUATION OF THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL AS AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL HANDGUN FOR SWORN PERSONNEL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL SIZE PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL ON-DUTY PISTOL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P COMPACT PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL OFF-DUTY PISTOL.

SINCE FIRST APPROVAL AS AN OPTIONAL PISTOL ON DECEMBER 10, 2008, THE FULL-SIZED AND/OR COMPACT VERSIONS OF THE 9MM SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOL HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED BY 49 SWORN PERSONNEL ON AND OFF DUTY. ONE OF THESE PISTOLS WAS DELIVERED NEW WITH AN IMPROPERLY MACHINED BARREL THAT WOULD NOT EJECT SPENT CARTRIDGE CASINGS. ANOTHER OF THESE PISTOLS EXPERIENCED A BARREL FAILURE IN MID-APRIL OF THIS YEAR. AFTER FIRING LESS THAN 10,000 ROUNDS OF TRAINING AMMUNITION. THIS PISTOL BARREL BROKE INTO TWO PIECES JUST AHEAD OF THE FIRING CHAMBER.

ADDITIONALLY, A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF DEPUTY ACADEMY CLASS #377 RECRUITS WITH ISSUED NEW SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL-SIZE PISTOLS HAVE EXPERIENCED PHASE-2 PISTOL MALFUNCTIONS, CAUSED BY SPENT CASINGS FAILING TO EXTRACT FROM BARREL CHAMBERS, DURING THE PAST TWO WEEKS OF TRAINING. CLASS #377 RECRUITS WILL BE ISSUED BERETTA 92FS PISTOLS ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 29, 2009, AND THEIR M&P PISTOLS REMOVED FROM SERVICE.

PERSONNEL SAFETY AND RELIABLE EQUIPMENT REMAIN OUR PRIMARY CONCERNS.

DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS TO LIEUTENANT MICHAEL C. REYNOLDS [email protected] OR SERGEANT DAVID NELL [email protected] AT THE B.C. RANGE.

LEROY D. BACA, SHERIFF KBL/SNDG

·
Registered
115 Posts
Never had a problem from my beloved M&P 40 and 9C. I wil however help the LAPD with their disposal problems. I will be more than happy, free of charge, to accept all of their firearms pulled from service's.

Seriously though, that is the first I have heard of any significant problems with these weapons. I hope this is substantiated and investigated. I will watch for further info if it develops.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts