Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Terry,
I own both and like them both. There are +s to the Shield as you can get it with a thumb safety if you so choose, that is not an option with the Glock. The advantage of the Glock is that magazines are excellent, available and inexpensive..both gun perform equally well both have good trigger pulls, sights and grip feel. Whatever you get, dryfire it and learn the trigger pull and reset..

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,916 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I also have each.

The 'Glocks' are 'Glockish' and all have similar designs and manuals of arms. So it's easy to work on and the work on skills generally translate to their bigger brothers.

One thing I HAVE found is Glocks are much easier to put aftermarket sights on; whether it's the XS F8s or big dot.

The Glock has slightly less capacity.

There's a noticeable difference between the Glock trigger and the Smith trigger. So this also comes down to personal preference. The -43 is a bit short in the grip department (easier to conceal but harder to shoot well). The Pearce grip extenders (adding one to capacity) alleviate this and give a decent grip but you have to know what you're doing to get them on the magazines. It's not as easy as it might seem.

I might suggest handling both and shooting both and seeing which one fits you the best. It's always hard to make a definitive declaration in 'best suited' in that we're all different and differ alot so much comes down to personal preference and what YOU shoot well. Also in the running might be a Sig P365 with STANDARD sights (if you're new to shooting--their SAS version has merit also but it's got a very quirky sighting system and better suited for more experienced shooters--and many very experienced shooters prefer the standard sights anyway or XL version again depending on what they're trying to do with the gun. I have the SAS version but its role is often as a pocket pistol and it IS difficult to shoot well and get used to; the standard sighted version doesn't have that problem).

I'd ALSO consider the 43X or as the donkey recommends the 48 (the 48 is the longer slide version so it depends on what you're trying to do with the gun). The 43x has a somewhat longer grip, 10+1 capacity, and is easier to shoot (at the expense of a slight loss of concealability; while the 43 is a genuine pocket size pistol and the shield kinda is too the 43x doesn't fit in a pocket well but carries well in AIWB or whatever fits a person best).

·
Super Moderator
11,554 Posts
Good morning. Im looking to get my CCW and i cant decide if i should buy the S&W M&P Sheild or Glock 43. Ive fired both at the range and fell in love with both. what is your input?
Have shot both and this is what you should do. My person preference is the S&W as the grip is more secure and it has extra safety. When you look, make sure to pull the trigger on the exact gun you will be buy to make sure it feels ok.
And welcome to G&G ! :)

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
As TX said, the 48 is a little longer in the slide, but I find I like this as I carry often (when quickly running in somewhere) inside the waistband without any type of holster. Abdomen carry used to be nice until this 20 lbs just showed up outta nowhere (oooh...pass the cake)??? Anyway, the other positive I've found (and it may just be me) is that I am WAY more accurate with the 48 than I was with the 43.

Hold, shoot em if you can, and see which one warms your heart. You can't go wrong either way.

·
Premium Member
24,794 Posts
Those are both good choices that you've gotten a little experience with at the range. Perhaps see if you can get a little more range time with both of them. That might make your decision a little easier. But it's really hard to make a suggestion for the suitability of a firearm for another person.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whichever one feels better to you. I prefer to have a thumb safety, it's only available on the S&W.

Glock 43 vs Smith & Wesson M&P Shield M2.0
+1 on the thumb safety and the video is well worth watching. Shield has an extra round, a little more room for your pinky for better control, it is American made and just looks cooler. Included 2nd extended magazine gives you yet one more round and pinky space. The Glock's slide is slightly lower helping control.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I prefer the Shield but you need to select the one that is right for you. Test carry each in the same manner as you plan to once purchased. This might help you select one over the other

1 - 10 of 10 Posts