Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Look like a standard 442 Ladysmith They have been around a while, most are the 642 model now. Does it saya anything like Friends of the NRA on it?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I can’t find a model number
It is the model 442, see post 5 above, that is an exact copy. There were two listed in those adds but both sold so we have no idea the value. But we know a new one that is not a commemorative has and MSRP of $812. The 442 and 642 are very common today. I do not know if the Commemorative creates any collector interest. I doubt it would affect the value very much, but I do not know.

What I do know is they are excellent pocket guns and slip into a pocket or jacket easily for concealed carry. I carried the stainless steel in 357 magnum for many years, the model 640. They were created for pocket or jacket carry with the hammer hidden so nothing would snag when drawing the handgun from a pocket. As an LEO we preferred them also for carry in the winter because if in a jacket pocket you can just shoot through the jacket without drawing the gun. Since there is no hammer to hang up inside the pocket they are better than a revolver with a hammer. They are also better than a pistol because when the gun goes off inside a pocket, the slide is likely to get caught up in the material.

So, you have a quality small gun that is great for concealed carry. Enjoy it. Being a Smith and Wesson J Frame, most people keep them for life and hand them down to family. They are that utilitarian. I have several J frame in my collection, anyone can use them and they never really lose value. Enjoy it.

The model number is also listed, I think, inside the crane. If you open the cylinder you should see small numbers on the frame of the gun, inside where the cylinder rod fits when closed. They should read 442-1, 442-2, etc.

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
632 Posts
I am not with you. I am a member of the SWCA.
First: The gun must have a pinned barrel.
Next: I like the recessed cylinder which makes it a P&C S&W revolver. Some examples:

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Shotgun

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts