close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W quality

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I read recently that S&W quality is not what it used to be. Has production of S&W revolvers changed? Are they using inferior steel? Is there anything in the revolvers I should look out for?

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I don't know about the revolvers, but I keep reading articles in gun magazines on how great the S&W autos are. Especially those out of the Peformance shop. I've had a 645 forever and never had a problem. Of course I have two revolvers that I've never had a problem with either. They are a bit older though.

3. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Yup, the older revolvers are nice! It's the newer ones I'm concerned about. I don't want to get a new revolver to the range and find out that I made a mistake buying it.

4. Ron Y

Ron Y G&G Newbie

Most of my Smiths (revolvers) are more than ten years old and all are of very good quality. There was a period about six to seven years ago when I noticed that the finish and fit was occasionally sloppy and I pointed that out to the gunshop owner. Whether or not the word got back to the factory I'm not sure. I recently purchased an Airlite .22 and everything was fine. In general, I would agree that the older revolvers were assembled with more care and I have never owned a Smith auto.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Check out the new Taurus revolvers before you buy any new S&W'S. You won't be disappointed.

6. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

NRAJOE - I've wanted a 45acp revolver for a while. As of today, only the S&W 625 is approved in CA, so it's my only option. Hopefully, Taurus will get off their collective corporate wallets & get their new revolvers in CA! :target:

7. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Even revolvers are on a 'forbidden' list in the PRK? It's even worse than I imagined.

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Beautiful state run by crappy politicians! I see Arnold Swartzenegger is thinking about running for Gov. of Kalifornia. Hope he can make a difference.

9. I had heard, or read, some time back when S&W signed the devil's pact with the government they went into share holding with Taurus.

Don't know if it's a credible story or not.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2002
  10. jamespeterman

jamespeterman G&G Newbie

I think my biggest beef with current S & W firearms is the polish is not as nice as it use to be 10 or 15 years ago. This is a costs cutting measure that doesn't effect the gun's funtionally, but it makes a difference aesthetically. They just aren't as pretty as they use to be.

11. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I have been a fan of vintage S&W revolvers. I just wish I had the bling bling ($$) to buy them way back when. Anyhow, nowadays, Taurus has become a serious contender...

12. I also don't know about the revolvers, but I just got a S&W made "Walther" PPK/S that is pretty good. No problems yet. The fit and finish are top notch and it has not jammed!! :nod: