Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in the market for a full size service pistol (or revolver) and I had it down to a 9 mm or a .38 +p. I wanted to shoot a Glock, as I keep hearing good things about them. I went to the local range and rented the Glock Model 19. It is really a nice pistol, but was a bit big for my hands. (When you have small hands, handgun shopping can be problematic.) I did okay with it, but the grip that I had on it was not sufficient for full control. I liked the idea of the Glock because there are no safeties or decockers to use. I've been shooting revolvers, and the idea of the gun being safe if I took my finger off the trigger appealed to me.

I needed to make a decision quickly, as there was a S&W that I did not think would last long on my dealer's shelf.

I ended up buying a used S&W model 10 with the heavy barrel. It has lots of honest wear, and I think it may have been a police trade at some point. Really nice trigger, locks up well, and the rifling is perfect. Fits my hand, too. Cost me $229. Not a bad gun for the car or house at a decent price...and now I have something bigger than a .22 for home and auto.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Sounds like a good buy, TJ.

I like GLOCKs, but that's cause I have "large" (glove size) hands. If the grip doesn't fit you, then it's certainly not the right gun... it's all about what you shoot best with in a caliber that's sufficient for defense.

I actually have a Hogue Handall grip with palm swell on my GLOCK 27 that actually makes it feel smaller, even though the diameter of the grip is bigger. I think it's because my hand fits the grip better; seems to solve the "felt like holding a brick" issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I own a s&w and have shot a glock before, but my buddy put it best, "Who cares if you can run over a glock and not damage it, don't drop the f*cker in the first place and you won't need a glock."

·
Registered
322 Posts
S&W model 10s have been around for years. They are fine weapons and should serve you well. Back in the 80's my training at the time was with model 15s ( which are essentailly a model 10 with adj sights.) At the time I was not a revolver fan and certainly no .38 special fan either. The pointability, accuracy and nice trigger pull educated me in a hurry. A person that can hit with a .38 is a very well armed person. The heavy barrel should also help you. Congrats on your purchase. And remember any gun that you buy and I mean ANY, is a gain and a loss. You gain in some areas and lose in others example: .22 derringer; gain in concealability lose in power, etc. So don't let anybody tell you that you made the wrong purchase.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Really I was to fast answearing the thread. I really look at it as...It's what you like period.
I'm looking at a CZ 75 40 S&W Compact. If I get a chance to get one thats my next pistol.
The friend that has the ffl he and I are going to do some shooting tomarrow and I'm gonna ask him what he can get one for me for...A.H

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good choice. I've shot quite a few glocks and didn't really like them that much. I'm not saying they're bad guns, just that they are bad guns for me. If you're ever still in the market look into the springfield xd line. I really like them, they have the glock trigger safety plus a 1911 style grip safety. They shoot really nice and the grip fit me better(I have short stubby fingers so I need a smaller grip too), and they're relatively cheap about 600 new. If you want a dream gun look at the h&k either usp or p2000...all I can say about those is wow.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Glocks are good fighting guns but don't fit everyone, use what fits you.
Try a s&w m&p or a px4 both have adjustable grips.
I have a M&P 40 and like it and carry one at work, started out carrying a mdl 10 smith at work and these guns are dependable, accurate and the 38 with the right loads are good stoppers. You made a good choice.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words on my selection.

Price came into the decision, too. The used Glocks were twice as much as the Smith. Though, the Glocks, being a bit too large...that was the end of them. I wasn't in the mood to spend any more money than I needed to. I remember the late Jeff Cooper once writing something to the effect of...it's the cartridge that you choose, more than the gun it's fired from (within reason, of course) that's important. So I set my sights on .38 +p or 9 mm. That's my comfort zone.

I shot a H&K USP in .40, and really liked it, but they are out of my price range, and it was a quick decision to get the Smith or let somebody else get it. I'm slowly building a selection of guns. I do not intend to duplicate any. I have the pocket pistol, service revolver, and the fun .22 handgun. I need a snubby and a good rifle. Money is a consideration, so I wait for cosmetically worn, but fully functional guns.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Good rifle?... Mosin Nagant of any model from Big 5 when they're on sale. You'll get it for $150 or less, usually.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I know what you mean about the grips on the Glock. The first time I picked one up it just felt extremely uncomfortable to me and I didn't want to even give it a second glance. Well 3 weeks later I find out that those are the dept. firearm we will be working with for pistols, and I thought "oh great I can't shoot something that I felt that uncomfortable with". So we did our 3 weeks of firearms training and by the end of that I loved the glock and now own one lol.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
You know.. I was looking at Glock, S&W, ect. Then I found H&K best gun I have ever shot/owned period.
Shot the USP in .40S&W... didn't like it nearly as well as the G27.

But, it's all about which gun fits you best.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am a fan of Glock. They are an excellent gun. I have never had any trouble out of any of the different models. I have had many handguns and never actually owed one but me and an old roommate used to take his out every chance we got. I have also rented them at the range we go to. I personally own a Ruger P89 and consider it to be an excellent self defense gun.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you reload

If you reload, the Glock is not a good choice and the 38 spec. is excellent. All kinds of warnings about shooting reloads in Glocks and in my experience they don't shoot cast lead bullets worth a darn.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I consider glock as one of the best, my model 22 has never jammed shot inacurate, ive not had much experience with smith but I have heard the [email protected] 10mm barrels and slides crack after 10,000 or so rounds but that's based on opinions.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I own a s&w and have shot a glock before, but my buddy put it best, "Who cares if you can run over a glock and not damage it, don't drop the f*cker in the first place and you won't need a glock."
Your buddy is an idiot - sh!t happens and you need to be ready for it.

Now as to the original post - great buy on the model 10. They are great guns. I prefer the glocks, but still own several S&W revolvers. Sometimes I like shooting them - brings back good memories.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts