close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SA58 24 Stainless bull barrel accuracy

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Tinman, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Tinman

Tinman G&G Newbie

Hello;

Just wnated to know if anyone owns or has shot one of these.
    I am concerned about the accuracy. What kind of accuracy are you getting with NATO loads and Match loads? I was thinking about getting one of these but if the accuracy isn't there then an M-444 will do.
    Reason....the last test I saw on line was a comparitive between DSA, Enterprise and the M444...............bad outcome, the Enterprise beat out the DSA by 1/2 inch at 100 yards.
    thank you for any imput.
    Hawk

2. I don't own one of them and I have never shot one, but I'd be real surprized if i was dramatically more accurate. After all, we're talking Badger Barrels here and Badger is not known for superlative accuracy.

There are several factors that affect FAL accuracy besides barrels:
    - trigger housing to receiver lockup
    - tolerance in the rear sight
    - headspacing
    - muzzle crown
    - type of muzzle device
    - etc., etc.

Barrel is just one factor of many

I had an all-Imbel that I built once, that put an entire mag into three inches at 100 yards, rapid fire. With the gas turned off (grenade launch mode) operating as a single shot, it was sub-m.o.a. Unfortunately, in a fit of stupidity, I let it get away from me. :(

3. Tinman

Tinman G&G Newbie

Falphil;

I think your missing my point. A rifle that cost $1750.00 should have several things already done, hense the cost.. Everything you have mentioned, and a excellent barrel. Heck My Savage 12 can put three rounds of match ammo in 3/8 inch at 100 yards. the weapon and stock cost $460.00, Tasco 6-24 Mil dot...$85.00,
    Federal match ammo $16.00 per box of 20. My M1a(cost $1050.00) will do a 1/2 inch group using the same scope and using the same ammo.
    Now I think that a SA weapon that cost $1750.00 should get a 1/2 inch at 100 yards out of the box.
    So my question was can this $1750.00 weapon do this, and if not, then why buy it if it cannot do better then a weapon 1/2 the price.(ie Enterprise, or the M-444)
    I pretty much just want to know the accuracy of these weapon prior to buying one.
    thanks
    Tinman

4. Maybe I did miss your point, but I've never heard of any DSA being a sub-m.o.a. tool right out of the box. In fact the only FALs that I know of which are consistently relied upon to be that accurate are Vanden Berg customs. Ed can make anything shoot, even Mini-14s!

The DSA guns, regardless of price, are made on forty-year-old machines which were originally set up to manufacture rifles with military tolerances. The SA58s with bull barrels that I have handled seem to be made from the same parts as the standard SA58, with the exception being the barrel and the free-floating handguards.

Your best bet would be to post this question on the FAL Files. There is a larger sample of experience over there than there is on this board.

5. Tinman

Tinman G&G Newbie

FalPhil........thanks for all the response...........From all the stuff I've seen on all the gun sites the DSA weapons do not seem to measure up to the price. I think the M-444 is most likely the way for me. Thanks for your response.
    Tinman
    :D