Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
632 Posts
..No, bit it's tempting. If they'd send it intact, I'd buy it and upon arrival I'd take it straight to the Sheriff (friend of mine) and let him do some investigating.
How about this? Have them ship it to the Sheriff and let him investigate? You never touch it until everything is OK.

JMO, but someone didn't accidently polish off some of a serial number.
-------
Off topic. I did own this 1965 Python with it's box. Great gun.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

I still own my Colt Detective Special that I bought new. I'd never trade it.

Revolver Gun accessory Trigger Metal Gun barrel

·
Registered
22,883 Posts
One of my customers got a Remington Rand 1911 refinished by a "professional". After it was polished and Cerakoted (to approximate Parkerization, supposedly) there were only the ghosts of markings left on it, and you could only read the serial number if you held the gun at an angle and shined a bright light on it. All the inspector marks, and the ordnance mark were long gone.

It isn't hard for stupidity or carelessness to look a lot like criminal activity. Heck, the ATF lives by that mantra, but to them there is no difference between the two.

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
632 Posts
.One of my customers got a Remington Rand 1911 refinished by a "professional"...
JMHO, but I'd rather have a gun with the original finish. Even I can rebuild the internal wear parts (I have an old gunsmith 1911 DVD), but the finish is only original once.

Except, I do have an old pre-war S&W .357 that has been refinished by the factory (in 1951) with all of the stamps on the frame and in the factory paperwork and letter (it's also in the database). All of the original markings and serial nunmbers (5) are easy to read. The value is still less than an original one.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking closely at the photo, It looks as if this Python has already been cut and welded together at the “white” areas. Serial numbers missing or not, I would not even consider this piece unless you are looking for a problem.
It is very sketchy. My first impressions was it had been in a fire, with the barrel and yoke the worst of it.
But who knows. Its damaged, and will be more so for whom ever buys it from the sawzall happy owner.

·
Registered
22,883 Posts
JMHO, but I'd rather have a gun with the original finish. Even I can rebuild the internal wear parts (I have an old gunsmith 1911 DVD), but the finish is only original once.

Except, I do have an old pre-war S&W .357 that has been refinished by the factory (in 1951) with all of the stamps on the frame and in the factory paperwork and letter (it's also in the database). All of the original markings and serial nunmbers (5) are easy to read. The value is still less than an original one.
The sad part is that it had about 70% of the "original" finish left originally. It was in a presentation case and the "glass" side was perfect Park. The side that had sat upon felt for 60 years had melded with the fabric, and rusted at the high points. The magazine had foxing down one side.

His dad carried the gun from well before WWII through the period-of-Vietnam-when-we-weren't-there (1956) and retired, and the Army re-parked his pistol and presented it to him.

I advised him to leave it alone, and just stop the cancer, but he wanted it "fixed"

He couldn't find anyone to do Park, but a guy talked him into Cerakote.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts