close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Safe gun cleaner

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Dog, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Has anybody here tried "Ballistisol", an environmentally safe, non-toxic, bio-degradable gun cleaner? The can label says it can be used for auto dashes (like Armor-all) and even for plants! It emulsifies in water. It has a smell that seems familiar, but I can't think of what it reminds me of. A friend at the range was trying it. He said it worked so-so.

2. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Hey bigdog, you been out burying bones or what? I think it is pretty good gen purpose cleaner. It is not the most effective gun cleaner, and not much of a solvent, but it is better than plain water or soap and water. Works better for muzzleloaders where you want to avoid using petroleum distillates. I dunno what it reminds me of either. I still use a little remoil after using it to clean with, or bore butter in my smokepole, just cuz I don't like leaving bare gun metal after it's been exposed to water. As a WWII german product, it was ahead of its time.

Stay in touch.:p

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

to me the stuff smells like poopies!!! dealer squirted it on my new pistol, i had to hose it down with brake cleaner to get rid of the smell.:mad: :D

4. Armorer

Armorer Guest

No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9

5. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I prefer Hoppe's No. 9 as well. I think my wife should wear it as perfume!