Safety, duh

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Sep 6, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, so in my discussions of my ambitions for my first CCW Pistol, I forgot to mention another criteria, which is safety. It must have a manual safety that will prevent it from firing when the trigger is pulled. Right now I've narrowed my choices down to:
    HK-USP in (45, 40)
    Beretta 96 (40)
    Daly Double Action (45,40)
    Glock 24 or 35 (40)
    Para Ordnance P14 (45)
    Base 1911 (45)

So what kinds of safeties do these have?
    I have used a 1911 and Para before, so I know about those.

2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Glocks do not have a manual safety other than the useless little tab on the trigger. The Beretta now sounds like the way to go...... Do the USP's have a safety, I think they do....

3. colt45

colt45 Guest

A 1911 has two, a palm swell safety and a manual type.
    I second my choice for the 1911 if you want safety.
    the glock would be out.
    all the rest have good safetys, but not a good as the 1911 in my book (my book only has two pages though, one has a 1911 on it the other has a glock and a mauser on it.)

4. BattleRifleG3

I just became familiar with the Springfield XD series and think that might be a good option, considering I want 5" barrel and accessory rail. I see something called the USA trigger (Ultra Safety Assurance), what's that?

Anyone have experience with this model?

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Sigs have decockers

so it sounds like they're out (along with the Glocks)...sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into a 1911A1..:nod:

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

That USA trigger

sounds like a marketing gimmick to me :rolleyes: :assult:

7. BattleRifleG3

Sigs have been out for a while. It's Springfield XD, Beretta 96, DDA, HK USP, Para Ord or base 1911. If I can't afford any of the others, 1911 it will be. It's sort of my fallback. I know I'll be happy with one and can probably afford one by May. Others I'm not as familiar with, but think they may be better choices at this point, as this will be the only one I get for a while (Next on the list is another shotgun and an AR).

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

What is a DDA ?

out of what's left I would go with a 1911A1...I would only buy a Kimber if I were in the market for a 1911A1...I have heard so many bad things about Para Ordnance that I would not consider them...

9. Klaus

Klaus Guest

The Mauser M2 has an external safety. So do the Baby Eagles. Why did you exclude these pistols?

10. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

all this indescision is getting wearisome. there must be a program or database somewhere in which you input all the needs in a handgun, mix it up and see what emerges as the clear cut choice!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

11. BattleRifleG3

And such programs select the gun that isn't what you want. As far as Baby Eagle and Mauser go, they both seemed a little small, and the Baby Eagle's grip seemed a little different from what I'm looking for. In any case, I've just ruled out all the polymer framed pistols, at least for my first, because they feel a little more slippery than I'd like. I can look into those models and grip accessories for them later.
    Right now I've narrowed it down to 1911, Para, Browning, and Beretta. If money's tight I'm 90% sure I'll go with a 1911.

12. Klaus

Klaus Guest

The Mauser M2 has an aluminum alloy frame. The Baby Eagles mostly have steel frames, though polymer is an option. So, I do not know what you are talking about with the polymer frames, unless you did NOT look at the guns and assumed they had plastic frames.

13. BattleRifleG3

I suppose I did assume incorrectly that they had polymer frames, but my main reason not to go with those was their size and shape compared to my hands, at least the ones I've seen. I'll take another look, but I think I'm more inclined to Beretta, Browning, 1911 (which you could say is Browning), and Para (sort of the same thing too). I'm talking about my first pistol, not my last, so I may acquire any among these others at a later time. Besides, being a student, I don't really have all that much time to go out and shoot.

14. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

there must be a program, in which you input ALL neccesary and pertinent info, covering every issue you have, hit the shake and bake button, and see what recomendations come out, and if not then some computer whiz is missing out on immortality.

15. BattleRifleG3

I looked over the pictures and specs of the Mausers, and they're a bit small in every dimension for me, and no more affordable than my other prefs. I looked on the Magnum Research website and found the Baby Eagles, and discovered that everything I'd seen before was compact and the full size looks alright, though I'm still inclined towards Beretta 96 for a 40.

16. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Well, you are talking about a CCW here. The guns you are favoring are all on the large side, IMHO.

17. BattleRifleG3

Well, I'm trying to pick my first CCW, not the ultimate CCW. I would start out simple, carrying the gun I'm the most comfortable with in the circumstances I'd have the most control over, ie walk in the park, driving, etc. Being as I have the most practice with a certain style of weapon, I would be able to start carrying it with full confidence in my ability to use it. As time goes on I'll probably aquire something I find better suited to the task.
    I think your advice is very good, I just think the place for a compact CCW is down the road, not right around the corner.
    But I won't try to conclude too much now. I'll take a trip to a range with an older friend and practice with their guns and with rentals, and I may end up doing more of what you suggest.

18. Klaus

Klaus Guest

It is your choice. Get what you feel comfortable with. Think about exactly how you intend to carry it though. The pistols you are favoring require a shoulder rig or a large jacket/coat to be concealed. I prefer pocket or inside the pant holsters, though I have other options as well. My favorite pistol is my P226, but I do not try to carry it concealed because of it's size.

19. BattleRifleG3

I intend to start with jackets and the like. I also tend to wear large clothes (no my pants don't sag like others of my generation). I think I've been able to fit a 1911 completely in my pants pocket.
    When I start to carry more frequently and in more situations, I'll probably go more of the route you're suggesting, but for now I want what I'm most comfortable handling. Then again, by the time I start to carry, I may practice enough with others that I'll change my mind. We'll see.

20. Klaus

Klaus Guest