Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...it's just about time for my annual deer hunt next Saturday, Sunday and maybe Monday, depending upon my luck the first two days. I've got an either/or tag, the deer stand is installed, a salt block has been in place for several months, the fallen logs along the path have been removed for easier access with a p/u to remove a harvested deer, the chili has been made and stored in the freezer back at the campsite building, etc. In other words...I "think" that I'm ready.

Now...I'm visualizing myself walking out to that 12 foot high stand before sun-up looking for those reflective thumbtacks that mark the trail to my deer stand, and thinking about carrying my "stash" bag full of things I think I'll need, or might need sometime in the next two years (ha), and thinking about carrying my Remington 700 30-06 with the 3x9x40 scope.

After using my flashlight to search through the timber and brush I'll finally find the stand. Next thing is to get everything to the top.

Remove the four rounds from the magazine, which I thought was needed, because I was sure I'd see a record sized buck as I walked the one mile distance to my deer stand.(ha) Hang the gun strap over my shoulder with the stash bag hanging over another arm and start climbing higher and higher to that postage sized shelf where I'll live for 6-8 hours each day for the next three days.

After finally reaching the top rung of the ladder I'll do the tricky maneuver of getting on top, turning around, flopping my supplies around, maybe even putting my air-pillow under my cold butt, and then it's time to start scoping the field. Oops, forget to re-insert four rounds in the mag and one in the chamber. Could have been an embarssing moment scaring away a perfectly record sized buck with the sound of my empty gun clicking.

Next...try to stay awake, scan the horizon, watch the wild game come to life that we normally don't see, eat a snack, fart, burp, and try not to fall off that stand.

Now...the next thing is getting the shot off, gutting the carcass, and dragging it to the trail before heading to town to turn in my deer tag and going to the butcherer.

Hope to be able to finish this legend after deer season. I'll tell you the rest of the wishful story then.

Ox :D :cheer: :right:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,374 Posts
Speaking of safety, I prefer to haul the empty gun or un-nocked bow up by rope.

I also reccomend a safety harnes for your stand. Mainly when you lift your right or left butt cheek up to fart, it should keep you rfom faling out of the tree.

Good luck & go easy on the chili. :)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jerry: I'll think of you when I do that.:throwup: :throwup: :D ;)

Also, that was a good idea on the rope. My stash bag is getting fuller and fuller.:hmmm: :right:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Didn't fall out of my deer stand during the past two days hunting deer.:D Was in place by 6:00 a.m. but couldn't hunt till 6:30 here in MO. Used a rope to raise and lower my rifle up to the stand the first day. After that I simply removed the rounds and slung it over my shoulder. Worked fine for me. Simpler is better I found. Carried in too much stuff the first day in a bag. Today I left that bag at the camp site and only took a few essentials. Left my hatchet but found that my knife opened up the chest cavity and pelvic bone fairly easily. It was much simpler only carrying my rifle and walking into the hunting area light.

Ox:nod: ;)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesiree! Bagged a doe weighing about 120 lbs. about 8:30 a.m. this morning. Could have picked any of the three does that walked into my hunting zone. Next year I'm taking a camera. What a sight that was! Only two of those does lived to make some buck happy.:D ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts