Saiga 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Saiga' started by Slugfest, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Slugfest

Slugfest G&G Regular

The first time I heard about these - a few years ago - the reviews were very mixed. Some stated that the gun needed some additional tooling (filing) to make the magazines insert and remove easily, etc. What is the status of them now? If I were to buy one today would I be able to load a magazine, easily pop it into the gun and away I go?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Slugfest: Sir; I know nothing :)

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-saiga-12-gauge-semi-automatic-shotgun/

First a quick note: This rifle was reviewed in as close to “factory” condition as possible, making only the modifications necessary to make it run. I’ve gotten some criticism saying that the Saiga needs to be modified to work properly, but to me that’s like reviewing the DeLorian based off Doc Emmit Brown’s modified time-traveling version. We’ll happily review modified Saiga shotguns, but the base needs to stand on its own merit. Now on with the review…

https://survivalblog.com/pats-product-review-the-saiga/

Right now, the Saiga 12, is one of the hottest selling firearms across the country. There are several reasons for this, first of all is that, this is one fantastic shotgun for self-defense. Secondly, the BATFE, or more rightly so, the US Justice Department, is trying to ban imported shotguns that have certain “features” that they deem evil. Third, there is a rumor going around, that the Justice Department refuses to give any more import permits for the Saiga 12. If that’s true, this is a de facto ban that is already in place. Lastly, there is a strong possibility, that the Saiga 12 and some other shotguns will be permanently banned from future importation after May of this year.

I have watched the price on Saiga 12 shotguns soar the past couple of months. My local gun shop was selling the Saiga 12 for around $450 just a few short months ago – when they were able to still get ’em. I routinely check gun prices on Gun Broker and the few Saiga 12s on there, the Plain Jane versions, box-stock, are going for between $800 and $900 these days and I expect prices to continue to rise.