Saiga-12 - shells jamming not ejecting

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AlphaOmega, Feb 26, 2009.

1. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega G&G Newbie

Finally got to shoot my Saiga-12 for the first time today. Using Winchester Super X Game Loads 2.75 inch (70mm) 8 lead shot. I loaded the 5-shot magazine first with 3 shells, then with 4 shells. On both occasions one or more of the shells jammed after firing and did not eject.

I hope this is only due to my gun being new and not broke-in yet. But I'd like to hear from some other Saiga-12 owners. BTW - I haven't tried any 73mm (2.87 in) or 76mm (3 inch) shells yet. Maybe I should just stick with European ammo. :p

2. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega G&G Newbie

3. Mike75

Mike75 G&G Newbie

Saiga in action

Hi guys,
    have you seen this? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWj_W0LRJ3g]YouTube - Death match Saiga-12 gauge and Molot-12 vith 3 buckshot, 2 3/4 Slug (maxrounds)[/ame]

:burnout:

4. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega G&G Newbie

Awesome video! I have some of that S&B ammo. 3" Magnum (max load) OO Buck (15 pellets).

I fired the S12 again today. I had much better luck with Federal and Remington 8 shot vs the Winchester 8 shot. I also shot some Nobel Sport 2.75" OO Buck (12 pellet) and the S&B 3" Magnum OO Buck.

I also have some Federal and Winchester 3" OOO Buck. Haven't tried that yet. :scool:

5. RePete

RePete G&G Regular

Are they the shells with the steel/alloy bases?

If so, try shells with brass bases and you will find that the problem is gone.

The steel/alloy bases do not spring back as far a brass bases.

6. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega G&G Newbie

Winchester is steel. Had several problems.

Remington is brass. No problems.

Federal is steel. No problems.

People on the Saiga-12 forum said Winchester are known to have issues and they recommended Federal and Remington.

I also had no problems with Nobel Sport (Italy) or Sellier & Bellot (Czech). Both brass.

7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Well, it looks like the problem is the Saiga 12 does not like steel-based shotshells. Useful to know, since that gun's on my "dream list."

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted