close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saiga 12s - What gives?

Discussion in 'Saiga' started by animalspooker, Jul 25, 2012.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I see a lot of Saiga 12s on gunbroker and other sites. They range from $550 to $2000. What is up with the wide variety of prices. I'm assuming some are better than others and some have more accessories? And, if I'm in the market for one, what should I be looking for?

2. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

You should be looking for one that is bone stock and slightly used for about $500. People want an arm and a leg for a home conversion with cheap parts because it looks cool.

The bone stock one can be converted close enough to military configuration/function for about $100. For general home defense the plain jane one with a couple 10rd mags is an unstoppable force.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Thank goodness for the "free market" system.

Folks that are too lazy or inept to do a 922r compliant conversion, can buy one that's already been done.

The more ambitious individual, such as Barry, can by a bare bones one, and do their own conversion.

I just ordered parts for SAIGA 7.62x39 conversion. I already did my SAIGA 12 conversion, last year.

To each their own.

PS- In a REAL SHTF scenario, I doubt that anyone is going to care if the conversion is 922r compliant, but in the mean time, there's no sense in getting into hot water with the Gestap....er.... BATFE.

4. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Evangelist

the older ones didnt require the conversion. i think 2010 the ATF required the design to be changed to be imported. just buy one bone stock and upgrade yourself, sell for $2k and buy 4 more to convert. you will be a millionaire overnight.

5. What is a "922r compliant conversion"?

(Not really knowledgable in these.)

6. BarryHalls

Compliance with BATF regulation 922r, having no more than the maximum number of foreign made "counted parts" so the rifle qualifies as US made and may legally have high cap mags, pistol grip, muzzle device, etc. 20 parts are counted, the AK only has 17 of those to start with so it need 7 of the correct US made parts.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ak47/24940-sticky-submission-ak-build-modification-legalities.html

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  7. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I paid $650 for mine..then threw another $900 into it pretty much gutted it and started over.

Attached Files:

8. You may also want to make sure the one you get is a 4 port gun too. They are supposed to cycle better. I have heard of 3 and maybe 2 ports. The others are right, Don't pay $1000 for a S12 unless it was built by Tromix, Red Jacket etc. Then you wouldn't have any trouble getting your money back out of it.

9. animalspooker

SEMO
    Barry - where do I get this???

10. BarryHalls

Look at gunbroker, armslist, gun shows, pawn shops, everywhere, but lately, I haven't seen any kind of Saiga 12 for less than $700.

11. animalspooker

SEMO
    is there anything I should look for to be sure and avoid?

12. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Avoid a "conversion" that is being sold cheap, or that looks odd.