Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting an AK, and I've seen these "Saiga" thinks around. From what I understand, they're like an AK, only different. :hitwithrock:So now you all get to point and laugh at me for asking what those differences are, and how good are they for the price? Because they're the cheapest AK-style rifle I've seen so far (at least on Centerfire...)

Help me out, guys? ^_^'

Thanks all.

Ferro.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I don't have one and haven't done any extremely in depth research on them, but from what I have seen, they're pretty much equal to the AK-47. The main issue for me would be that you're limited as to what you can out on it in terms of furniture and such.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've noticed that the magazines are MUCH more expensive than ones for an AK-47... For the price of one I could get 4 AK mags. Is there a major difference in the two that would cause that?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've noticed that the magazines are MUCH more expensive than ones for an AK-47... For the price of one I could get 4 AK mags. Is there a major difference in the two that would cause that?
i think that's mostly an issue of supply and demand theres much more standard ak mags around than saiga ones

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
i own one in 308 and really like it.

i found this,
they can tell you better than i can.
Another economy import from EAA (European American Armory), the Siaga rifles represent what is probably the best bargain in AK derivatives currently on the US market.
Engineered to comply with Clinton era restrictions placed on the Russian Federation with even fewer "evil" features than other imports as a condition of securing loans, the Saiga rifle is a highly modified derivative of the AKM rifle. Unlike other AK derivatives where they were primarily military rifles slightly modified to comply with US import regulations, the Saigas were engineered from the beginning for commercial civilian sale. This included a focus on making a rifle with fashionable "sporting" lines that would be usable by former members of the armed forces as a sporting gun in Russia and other parts of Eastern Europe. Nominal incompatibility with military high capacity magazines and a complex trigger group specifically for semi auto use put nervous public administrators at ease while the potential of this gun satisfies those looking for a utilitarian rifle but willing to give up classic AK looks. It uses a sheet metal receiver, but then also uses the higher quality component manufacture of the AK100. Furniture on most models is black plastic, with OEM magazines being a combination of plastic and metal. Sights are realistically graduated for the effective accurate range of the 7.62X39 cartridge, although there are models of the Saiga in .223 and .308, in addition to a series of very similar Saiga shotguns all derived from the same basic AK action. All of the rifle models come with the old Soviet standard scope rail. Note, that this rail seems straighter and tighter on the Saiga rifles than the same dimension rail on the Romanian AKs.
The most noticeable divergence from classic AK design on this gun is the stock and trigger group arrangement. In order to make the gun more "sporting" the trigger group was reconfigured to place the trigger and trigger guard further to the rear in the action, so as to eliminate the placement of a separate pistol grip and allow the use of a more or less conventional Monte Carlo type stock. Internally, the gun is still largely AK, but with some components added in order to compensate for the new trigger geometry. Needless to say, this also makes the usual full auto conversions the most difficult of all semi-auto only AK derived rifles. More subtle is the magazine and magazine catch arrangement on these rifles. The come with a unique 10 shot magazine that is derived from standard magazines, but not directly compatible. It will not lock properly in conventional AKs, and likewise, conventional AKs will not function in the Saiga without some modification of the gun, the magazines, or both. I found that modification of the gun alone is relatively easy to allow the use of standard magazines. This is not only a benefit for getting some firepower out of the package, but also to allow the functional use of common. "hunting legal" five shot magazines that are readily available on the open market.​

you can get these things in
12 ga.
410 ga.
7.62x39

[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Cost - Probably the single best bargain on the current semi-auto rifle market. Nobody anywhere is offering more gun for the money. Investment value on this one is a no-brainer with a brand new Saiga coming in cheaper than a lot of well used inferior SKS rifles or the Mini-30, and often costing $100 or more les than other AK derivatives. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Accessories - Really not a whole lot available for this one due to the unique trigger and stock arrangement. It takes the standard AK side rail mount scopes, and a POSP 4X24 like the one pictured here is a perfect match. Add a sling to round things out and that is about it. Stock and custom options are limited only by the imagination.[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Mags - Solid, durable and cheap. Specific Saiga mags are costly and hold only 10 shots, but given the gun being easily modified to take standard AK mags, this is not a significant problem. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Longevity and durability - This gun could easily last 100 years with normal maintenance. I could see replacement of the furniture coming up in around 50 years. AKs traditionally last well with obscenely high round counts, and the AK100 is an improvement over what has been the standard. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Ammunition - Easily obtained almost anywhere due to widespread military and civilian use of the cartridge throughout the world. Mountains of inexpensive surplus ammunition make this gun very economical to shoot. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Power - The 7.62X39 AK cartridge is effective for medium game hunting and fighting out to 300 yards. While nothing to brag about as a high power rifle cartridge, it qualifies for common big game in most states. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Parts - Most of the gun can take standard AK parts, magazines are readily available. Some parts in the trigger group and stocks are unique to the Saiga, and while unlikely to ever break, they would be almost cost prohibitive to replace with factory originals unless you have a spare gun around to strip down for parts. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Ergonomics and handling - Really classic balance and handling you would expect from a semiauto hunting rifle, albeit heavy since most of the bulk in this gun is metal, not wood or plastic. The standard stock is very solid and helps balance the gun pretty well. The gun has good balance but is heavy. The sling mounting points are a bit too conventional for my liking, but that is easy to change. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Reliability - At the core of this rifle is an AK. If they don't run 100%, then something is very very wrong. That said, it is not unheard of certain specimens might need some work when modified to work with standard or modified magazines. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Maintenance and repair - Again, it's an AK with a chrome lined bore. It can take a licking and keep on ticking. Watch out for the parts issue though. Most basic AK parts fit, but some parts are unique to the Saiga and can be costly to replace. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Accuracy - As good or better than any standard grade AK. Being a Russian made gun, it is particularly well matched to the popular Wolf and Barnaul brand AK ammo that is readily available in the USA. Expect a solid 3MOA which is fine for most common uses. Don't be suprised if the odd sample here or there will do as well as 2MOA. The iron sights are not so good, so your most precise shooting with this rifle will involve the necessity of a good scope. [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Popularity - This gun is a real sleeper on the current market and is not distributed on the volume of other AK derived guns primarily because of its tame appearance. Monte-Carlo stocked AKs are traditionally not very popular and that is what I think is keeping this AK from getting more attention. With that in mind, it takes some of the most common magazines and ammunition on the planet. [/FONT]

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow Billy. o.o Thanks! That helped a lot!

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
im glad i was able to be of service to you kind sir!

p.s.
i named mine THUMPER

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
billy- yours has a pistol grip stock and the one in the ad has a montycarlo. do they make different models?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
billy- yours has a pistol grip stock and the one in the ad has a montycarlo. do they make different models?
They do, but I think he moded his a little. Correct me if I'm wrong, Billy.

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
no i modded mine like they mention in the article.
here it is before the mods.

i get 1 1/2 -2 MOA

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it any good in 308, Billy? I would assume it would have a bit more kick to it than a 7.62x39. And how much did the scope and rail cost, if ya don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
100 METERS

i think it was about $150-$160 for mount and scope.

i already had 3 rifles in 7.62x39.
i wanted something with some balls.

20 rounds of .308 is nothing to sneeze at!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mm... Not the best grouping in the world, eh?

More balls than a 7.62x39? Haha. I guess the 7.62x51 would work. =P

*EDIT*
Oh wait. 100 Meters. Wow I'm smart. >.>' I thought it was yards.

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
thats wonderful groups for an AK.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For an AK, yes. Hehe. Like I said, not the best in the world. :spam:

Haha. I like the spam one. =] If I get this, is it worth spending the extra money on the 308? The 7.62x39 and the 223 are way cheaper...

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
For an AK, yes. Hehe. Like I said, not the best in the world. :spam:

Haha. I like the spam one. =] If I get this, is it worth spending the extra money on the 308? The 7.62x39 and the 223 are way cheaper...
thats up to you.
i bought mine and at the same time bought 2000 rnds of milsurp .308
the ammo cost more than the rifle.

i already have a precision bolt rifle in .308 if i want to kill dimes at 100 meters.:scool:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh wow. Haha. I've been looking at a Remington 700 also.

Aaah. So many choices.

What's the other rifle you have in 308?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very, very nice! o_o I'm jealous of you, man.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts