Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sako 85 has always been one of my Bucket List guns. Of course, like all guns, you look long enough and you can find some negative reviews. But, I have a customer wanting to get rid of his (safe queen) and I'm considering buying it. 223 Remington is the caliber, which works out because I enjoy playing with that on in my old age.

Question is, does anyone own one or have any experience with one?

This is not the one for sale of course, but just like it, only this one I'm looking at would have a 23.75" barrel:

Air gun Gun barrel Wood Trigger Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
11,755 Posts
I have had many various guns over the years and feel that I have kept the important ones. My one regret is trading my Sako Forrester .243 which I bought new in 1972. At that time there were only two ammo options for 100 gr bullet. Winchester or Remington Core Lokt. I could get 1 in from either thru a 4x scope.
I now own a Sako model 75 pictured below. This was bought in 1998 (I think). Their reputation for accuracy is earned. If the price is right.....grab it.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Wood

·
Premium Member
26,162 Posts
Oh man, all I know is that they are very fine looking firearms.
If it's priced right I don't think you can go wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
I have had many various guns over the years and feel that I have kept the important ones. My one regret is trading my Sako Forrester .243 which I bought new in 1972. At that time there were only two ammo options for 100 gr bullet. Winchester or Remington Core Lokt. I could get 1 in from either thru a 4x scope.
I now own a Sako model 75 pictured below. This was bought in 1998 (I think). Their reputation for accuracy is earned. If the price is right.....grab it.
View attachment 168881
Beautiful rifle! I had one in .22-250 with a McGowan barrel, it was a fantastic shooter and even beter looking! Sold it to a customer many years ago, he absolutely needed it and I needed the $ at the time.. Sako makes nice rifles.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
The Sako 85 has always been one of my Bucket List guns. Of course, like all guns, you look long enough and you can find some negative reviews. But, I have a customer wanting to get rid of his (safe queen) and I'm considering buying it. 223 Remington is the caliber, which works out because I enjoy playing with that on in my old age.

Question is, does anyone own one or have any experience with one?

This is not the one for sale of course, but just like it, only this one I'm looking at would have a 23.75" barrel:

View attachment 168879
A good friend of mine uses one in .308; I remember taking it to where he shoots on private property. We bore sighted it to get it on paper and then chased that shot. His rifle has the composite stock called iirc Finnlite... That rifle feels nice, it looks good and shoot very well. We shot it at 100 yards and he was grouping under an inch from a rest, more than adequate for hunting. I saw one recently and it had a carbon fiber stock on it, called the Carbonlight. Wow, a super light 5.3 lbs with no glass mounted in stainless steel and quite pricy.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
First, you asked about buying a Sako to a bunch of enablers. Second, if it’s in excellent shape, I say buy it.

I’m honestly not terribly fond of .223 Rem for shooting the smallest groups possible. However, you’d enjoy having it I bet. Get a stupid expensive scope for it and invite me out for a prairie dog hunt sometime.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
My AV is my favorite rifle next to my CZ452 . Older than that 85 to be sure but still a beauty to behold and shoot.

·
Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Sako has a golden reputation, maybe a bit overblown IMHO. They do make good rifles and that is reflected in the (high) price.

For the money, I'd buy one of the Husqvarna series and put a high grade walnut stock on it. Husky made a silky, strong action but stocks that were made to fit short men. It wouldn't be a new rifle, tho, so maybe not a good suggestion.

On the other hand, if you get the Sako for a good price you can shoot it and then if you decide it's not your cup of tea, sell it for at least what you paid for it.

·
Premium Member
13,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have it in possession yet, but as soon as I have it, you'll get pics!!!

Should I include the scope (Night Force) that's going on it? The one I got years ago when a customer I know, who has more money than he knows what to do with, came in and said he didn't like it and wanted to get rid of it. I told him I could only give him $500, all I had (that was the truth)...he said, "Deal!" It's been sitting in my safe for ~10 years waiting for the right rifle!

5.5-24x50

·
Premium Member
13,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I know. I found it for him, used. He paid $1400 I think. About a year and a half later, I asked how he was liking it. Said he wanted to sell it because he was putting all SWFA scopes on his guns. Nice enough, but big and heavy in my opinion!?!?

He's not all there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts