Sako Choke Tubes

Discussion in 'Sako' started by GARY D, Sep 9, 2002.

1. GARY D

GARY D Guest

Anybody know what brand of choke tube will fit the Sako/Tikka over/under shotgun. The Sako/Tikka is the reincarnation of the Valmet O/U only it now made in Italy. I want to get a couple of compensator style tubes to help with the recoil when shooting skeet. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2002
  2. dave375hh

dave375hh Guest

Gary D,

I'm not sure what tubes fit these guns but my guess would be Beretta because they own both companys.

Now up onto the soap box! Compensated tubes and barrel porting are worthless as far as reducing recoil. By the time the powder gasses get to the ports there isn't enough pressure left to do anything but make the report louder by redirecting the sound to the sides. Rifle muzzle brakes work because they have 50,000 to 65,000psi to work with, and the pressure is still high when the gas gets to the ports. In a shotgun SAAMI max psi is only 13,500psi for all loads, and due to the faster powders used they simply run out of gas(pardon the pun) by the time it reaches the ports. Porting and comp choke tubes are a ruse to seperate you/us from our money. Anyone tells you they reduce recoil is either a fool or a liar.

3. GARY D

GARY D Guest

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I have to disagree with you a little on the recoil issue. My friend has a VALMET O/U that is identical to my Tikka and he has his barrels ported. I swapped barrels with him and fired the ported barrels using my receiver and stock and there was an noticable drop in recoil. Now maybe I was just anticipating this but I shot a round a skeet with it and my shoulder didn't scream once. With my barrels the recoil is strong especially after about 75 rounds through the gun. My trap gun is a Remington 11-87 Premier Trap and it has NO recoil at all. God that would be wonderful in all my guns :p

4. dave375hh

dave375hh Guest

Gary D,
    I have two Browning O/Us a GTI and an Ultra SX that are as alike as any two guns can be(I made them that way) The SX is Ported the GTI isn't. There is not one wit of difference in recoil between them. If you look at the pressure trace of a shotshell that shows its pressure untill it leaves the muzzle the amount of pressure is almost flatline by the time it reaches the ports. As such where is the gas to mitigate the recoil? If you felt less recoil it's because you expected to feel less not because the porting really did anything. There's just not enough gas to do what you want it to do. Spend your money on a softer recoil pad or a recoil reducer in the buttstock. You work hard for your money, spend it wisely.

dave375