Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought one of Sako's poor country cousins, a Tikka S.S. Lite. Please don't get me wrong, I love this rifle, but.... Soon after buying it I spotted a used Sako Mod. 75 Finnlight with a #4 action. After hoisting it to my shoulder and looking it over, I was in love! The Tikka is a great rifle at a great price and basically it is of the same design as the Sako, but with the use of much cheaper parts.
Well as the title of the post states I'm now dreaming of someday being able to put down the cash for a nice Sako, preferrably a Bavarian, but I'd even settle for a Finnlight. LOL
Don

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Spend more time and effort with the gun you have

Best advice is to save money if you really want the other gun. But do take time to work with your present gun as the performance may surprise and delight you as it has others. Try different loads, bullet weights, etc. It is a less expensive gun but
you should not assume it is of "cheaper" parts in the sense of poor quality control, poor machining tolerances, inferior metallurgy . . . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh believe me I'm very happy to have my new 30/06 Tikka and don't ever plan to part with it. I'm sure it will be my go to gun once I get it tuned in with handloads. It's got a great feel to it and the bolt is an absolute dream. I already worked up a few 180gr. loads to try, mounted a Leupold 2.5x8 scope using Deadnutz base, a Limbsaver pre-fit recoil pad and had hoped to get to the range this past Sunday, but the range was closed for a block shoot.
Those Sako rifles just seem like rifle perfection. Hopefully here's a photo of the Sako 85 Bavarian or as I like to call it, "The stuff of dreams".
Below that photo is one of my new Tikka Lite.
Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
Never look back

Hello all I first would like to say that any time your out hunting or just shooting at paper it really does not matter what your shooting as long as you practice that is the important thing. And for all the people out here worrying about what gun you should buy. Well a note from the best hunters I have ever known witch would be my grandfather father. You buy the gun for the game your hunting and what you can afford. Hunting is one of our last heritage and you do not need the best. Start low and slowly progress up. I would rather go out with some one hunting with a cheap rifle that knows his gun then to go out with some one with the best gun on the market the has no idea what there doing.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Sound advice! Better suited for the General Rifle forum though. Welcome to G&G Amber. You will find people here of many different levels of experience. From beginning gun enthusiast, to accomplished title holders. This forum deals specifically with those things Sako. Not because they cost more, but because we LOVE Sako's craftmanship, attention to detail, and that they are still GUARANTEED to shoot sub-MOA out of the box or your money back! Again, welcome to the boards...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Tikka T3 7mm rem mag and it is 1" at 100 yds. Im buying a sako 85 with a Zeiss conquest rapid z reticle only because Im a glutton.
I just recently bought one of Sako's poor country cousins, a Tikka S.S. Lite. Please don't get me wrong, I love this rifle, but.... Soon after buying it I spotted a used Sako Mod. 75 Finnlight with a #4 action. After hoisting it to my shoulder and looking it over, I was in love! The Tikka is a great rifle at a great price and basically it is of the same design as the Sako, but with the use of much cheaper parts.
Well as the title of the post states I'm now dreaming of someday being able to put down the cash for a nice Sako, preferrably a Bavarian, but I'd even settle for a Finnlight. LOL
Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Tikka T3 7mm rem mag and it is 1" at 100 yds. Im buying a sako 85 with a Zeiss conquest rapid z reticle only because Im a glutton.

I did the same a Sako 85 - .223 laminated stock Varmit

Rabbits at 100 - 250m (head shots only)
Foxes and roo's and the occasional sheep, thanks to a fox )-:

Beautiful Rifle, and quality all over from end to end, compare barrel finnish, Custom action to suit caliber, bolt - 3 prong and more stable, clip & mag set up - it doesn't just fall out if you bump it - unlike tikka, trigger guards are steel, precision scope mounts and ring set up where you can remove your scope and put it back and it will still be perfict! Full floating stock etc....
Glad I spent the extra $$ as I loved it out of all the brands I looked at including a remmington HVPS (not a balanced hunting rifle) compared with sako....but its only MY VIEW AND OPINION.

Topped it off with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 MC scope...also to those who like 3x9x40 OA Leupold...look through a Zeiss at dusk and a Leupold, you wont recommend them again!! let your own eyes be the judge< I found Leupold couldn't get focus on the stop lights at 250M away, but the Zeiss I could just about read the street name under it! .....SO IMPRESSIVE...
And the shop owner was also VERY IMPRESSED with the Zeiss and had never done a dusk test before and said the Leupold was set as good as it can be, and he played with it for a while and gave up
(he has 30 years experiance in the industry also)
He also ordered 5 more Zeiss the next day he said and will do the dusk test with people from now on to show them just how good zeiss really are as an entry level under $1000 Europian scope.

I gladly payed the extra $300 for the Zeiss, ($770) and went back in the day time and the differance was still quite noticable.

Buy 4 now..

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Mmmm,

Tikka is not really made from "much cheaper parts". It has a great (although not a SAKO) action plus it has a SAKO barrel.

I would rate Tikka as one of the upper quality rung guns in the marketplace.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I found the Tikka I now have on layaway, it was right next to a Sako on the rack. That Sako was BEAUTIFUL. An absolutely gorgeous rifle... and about 3x the price tag of the Tikka. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so it's almost three years since I posted this and still no Sako for me. Price has kept me from buying one, but I couldn't be happier than I am with my Tikka. I was able to get decent accuracy using 180gr. Horn bullets and even took a cow elk with that load. Since then I played a bit more with loads and have two go to loads. First off I found the rifle loves the Horn. 220gr. bullets and shoots then into a three shot 100 yard group measuring less than 1/2". Secondly I tried Barnes 168gr. TSX bullets and also found a load that shoots those into less than 1/2" three shot 100 yard groups. I now have the Leupold 2.5-8x40 set up so the 220gr. load is zeroed right at 100 yards and the 168gr. load shoots just 2.5" higher. For me that's an ideal set up for short and long range hunting. Here's a few photos of targets I shot during load development, before setting up the scope.
Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay so it's almost three years since I posted this and still no Sako for me. Price has kept me from buying one
I too, had always wanted a Sako rifle, but felt they were out of my price range. I also like to shoot and load for several different cartridges, and thought I should just be content with my "ordinary rifles", Model 70 Super Shadow, Stevens 200, Remington 700 SPS Varmint, Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard Varmint Special. But then a couple of months ago, I get a Cabela's flyer with the Sako A7 on special for $599, but only in .243 Winchester, limited quantities. I have always liked the .243, and my Stevens 200 is chambered for that cartridge. The Stevens is tricked out a bit, my son sanded and painted the stock camo, I added a Hogue soft recoil pad which also added a half inch or so length of pull, (my boys and I are all between 6' and 6'5") and a Rifle Basix trigger.
So technically, I didn't "need" a .243. But I looked my wife in the eyes and told her I had always wanted a Sako, and since her folks emigrated from Finland about 55 years ago, she thought a rifle made in Finland was an acceptable addition to my small battery. Since the nearest Cabelas is up in Post Falls, ID, about 150 miles away, I called them to see if they could hold one for me. They said they could for 5 days, so I did it. It is really nice, even though some may say it is half Tikka and half Sako due to its' plastic magazine. I am still waiting for my new scope, but am anxious to get it out and shoot it, so I scavenged the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 SF off my Stevens and will mount it up this weekend and hopefully get it to the range next weekend. If it shoots as well as my Stevens, I will be even more thrilled. (My Stevens printed a nice 3 shot .456" group at 100 yards yesterday after I got the new Intensity 6.5-20x44 scope dialed in.)
I'll post back with the Sako results once I get to the range. Maybe I should try the Stevens Load in the Sako, Nosler 70 gr Ballistic Tip, 46.7 gr of Accurate Data 86 (bulk 3100), CCI-200, Remington case. I have toyed with the idea of a single load for the Sako, maybe the Nosler 95 gr Ballistic Tip at 2800 to 3000 fps, if I can find a load that will shoot consistently. It should work well on critters from rock chucks through deer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$599 for a Sako A7? It sounds like you bought it at Tikka prices! Congrats on a great find!!! I look forward to hearing about your range results.
Don

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Nice find, I always envied my best friends' Finnbear, and back in 2003 I finally landed myself an A5 30-06 with a McMillan stock, truly art in metal. I can't think of any bolt-turner I would rather have.

·
Super Moderator
11,533 Posts
Hey Swede - Nothing like replying a couple of years after the question.....haha. The Bavarian is a stock design that is curved downward on the part of the stock (top) where you would place your cheek. People tend to really like the design or dislike. Little in between.
:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts