Salt block recipes?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DaTeacha, Jul 27, 2011.

1. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Hi guys. Haven't been on this particular forum before, but I'm sure a lot of you know me from others.

Getting to the point, I was talking with my superintendent today and he asked me what I thought acted as the binder to hold salt blocks together. Seems he has some nice deer where he hunts and has his own recipe for trace minerals and such but would like to be able to make 5 or 10 pound blocks of the stuff instead of just mixing it into the dirt.

So I looked on line and most of the recipes call for just mixing it in the dirt. I figure there must be somebody here who makes blocks of deer mineral. So can we get a collection of antler and bone building dietary supplements that can be made into nice gallon size blocks?

What do you use for your homemade miracle?

2. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Evangelist

i use brown sugar (about a 1 lb bag/ 8lbs of rock salt), plus any minerals you choose. after antler growth is terminated i either use straight salt and sugar or simply mix into dirt.(regular cane sugar will do but tends to harden quicker)

mix the solids together and add hot water to dissolve and then boil it like candy .test the mix use'in the "soft ball method" like you were making fudge by dropping a a couple of drops from a wooden spoon into a cup of cold water. if it sets up to a semi firm consistency its ready. pour into a mold (i use pam but use anything basically for a release agent like wax paper, veggy oil, ect.)

basically you make a candy/salt block....which is what deer caine is. they just use a different type sugar

not knockin the blocks...they last longer but i've found deer like it soaked into the soil better. they don't "lick" the block as much as they lick the rock and soil around it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

I just buy the 25lb blocks at the feed store I think they are 5 bucks. Lasts 2 seasons and is fun to shot at with the 22.

Heh i forget the part i was going to talk about, you can mix your trace minierals into a solution and pour them into the cup of the salt block, they will soak in and it really makes the deer work at it to get them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Evangelist

our soil around here is very poor in calcium tgf.(its here but not as useable as other soils...red clay sucks) i up the calcium along with a few other goodies that aren't found in a typical mineral block. we also plant lotsa chickory which provides calcium as well

5. H-BAR

H-BAR G&G Newbie

"organic" horse and deer blocks use the same binder as bird seed, suet/suger. you render the suet into tallow and mix in your suger, minerals and rock salt and pour it into buckets, or any other type of mold and let it cool. it becomes a very hard waxy brick that's melting point is around 98-100 degrees.

6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

So what trace minerals will the deer go for? I have a bottle of concentrated trace minerals that supposedly help autistic kids if you can get it into them. (Junior wouldn't buy it; no matter what I put the stuff in, he spit it out. Sensitive taste buds, i guess.) It would be nice to put it to use.

7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

ive used alot of stuff over the years. i have seen in my area the deer dont give 2 craps about the deer cocaine products. they will come to both the plain salt, and brown mineral licks you buy at feed stores, but they absolutely love those mineral rocks you buy. you've got to find what works in your area, much like people if deer are lacking something in their diet, they will crave it. my little trick is to place the salt licks on a cut off stump, that way the minarals will soak into the stump, and imo its better than going into the top soil which can wash away in a good rain. once the deer find it, they will literally chew on the stump to get the minerals.

8. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Interesting to see the difference in different areas. The guy hunts about 2 hours south of here, which is very different territory than here in farm country. Our local deer just eat corn, alfalfa, beans, plus whatever they find in the woods. And there's enough selective logging going on to provide a pretty constant stream of browse, too. Down where he hunts, the glaciers didn't get there so it's not really farm country, mostly wooded. I asked about just putting out some corn, but he said they eat it too fast.

9. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Evangelist

Attached Files:

10. bryarx

bryarx G&G Newbie

I put out 40 lbs of corn per spot, each week. I only corn up about 3 spots, so i guess that's 120 lbs of corn a week. Seems like a lot I guess, but I have to go about that often to check my cameras anyways. Never messed with the minerals stuff really, I've put it out, but I don't notice the impact as much as I do for corn.

11. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Evangelist

its all about the soil teach. our georgia red clay is lacking in calcium and phoshorous and bein very acidic(add to that pine straw compost), it locks up almost all the available nutrients. antler growth depends on 3 things.....age, diet, and genetics. but from my experience genetics is too over rated. if they don't grow old (4 1/2 years or better) and eat well ,it doesn't matter who their daddy is

i can sew 2 identical food plots side by side. fertilize one and the deer wont touch the other and will mow the fertilized one like a lawn mower. all in search of something that contains higher nutrient value.we started using plants like chickory that help release the calcium and have seen a great improvement in antler growth on 2 leases.sticker points and drop tines are very abnormal here but i've got 3 bucks this year on camera with 3" stickers

if animals are getting what they need out of thier ordinary diets i expect them to not crave it.but they all go for salt in warm weather. something thats typically hard to find anywhere.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  12. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Evangelist

Deer cocaine. Can buy it at Walmart I believe. Works great.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted