close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SAR-1 finish

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Is it me, or is the finish on the Romanian AK a joke? Mine scratches easier than my calfskin boots! I love the weapon, but the finish is not good at all. I found a website, www.shootiniron.com, and they have some pretty cool finishes available. I was thinking of sending my AK to them and have it done in the Tiger Stripe camo scheme. Anyone ever deal with them?

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

... Tony West has a great molycoat package in many colors. He currently coated his personal SAR-1 forest green. Reasonable price too!

3. My SAR3 has the same problem......

so I might look into the suggestion of a different finish. Right now I am taking a black permanent marker and covering the marks.....bummer, I know.

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Just heard from shootiniron.com,

and I'm going to get the Tiger Stripe finish. He's doing all of my mags, the stock, and the PSO-1 scope for a price I can't turn down. Dale, you might want to check him out. Seems very reasonable.

5. Just might do that Calvin, thanks.

6. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

let us know how the tiger stripe comes out and if you can send some pictures like to see it i am thinkin about doin my sar1

7. so Calvin, what's the reasonable price for the tiger stripe?

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

For the rifle, stock, all of my mags (a lot!!), and shipping is $325. It includes total disassembly and refinishing of all internal parts. Best price I've gotten yet. I have talked to a few Arizona police officers who have had theirs done who told me his work is second to none. Good enough for me!!

9. Oh My God!

I dont know what you paid for yours but in 1990 my SAR-I only cost me $249.99 new!!!

I think Ill just get a new black polymer stock-set for $39.99 and a can of Krylon! LOL

10. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Hey Cranky, nice to have you on board!

Jesse

11. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

just curious, aside from the finish, how do you like your romanian ak? does it have any fuction problems, how many yards is it accurate... etc.? i am thinking about picking one up (they are so inexpensive!) but i wanted to get some feedback. thanks!

12. Dear Ananab,
    I think you were probably asking Calvin but I want to throw in my 2-cents worth.

My Romanian SAR-I has been GREAT! What Calvin says about the finish is true even though mine has held-up very well. I shoot Wolf brand FMJ ammo and get great results.

As for accuracy I cant tell you a whole lot. The outdoor range I go to does not extend beyond 200 yards and I generally only shoot at 100 yards. Despite my "not so great" skill I get 3-5 inch groups at 100 yards. At 200 yards I still use the 100 yd Rifle Targets and I am happy to get 8-10 inch groups.

I dont know how helpful this is for you....just keep in mind Im not a very good shot so other folks probably get better results but for the $249 I paid for my SAR-I back in 2000....Im happy.

13. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Before you go ballistic about the price, it's worth it to me. The guarantee is lifetime against rusting, and where I shoot, that's the number 1 problem for me. Had to get my Taurus redone last year to the tune of $200, and it took 3 months to the day to get it back. Shootin' Iron has a 2-week turnaround, and that's good enough for me. Plus, take in to consideration that I have over 25 mags that are getting redone also. The stock is getting done in the same scheme as the rifle and mags. Total it up, and it's easier to see why it's a good deal.
    As far as liking my SAR, I love it! I usually get 2-3 inches at 100 yards. I shoot mostly Wolf ammo through it. Haven't had so much as a hiccup with it. I have one of the PSO scopes for mine, and I think it's a good scope. It's no sniper rifle by a long shot, but it will do in a pinch. Furthest I have ever shot mine was a laser-verified 362 yards. It was a chimney on an old house on my uncles' place, and I did knock the bird cage off of it. The cage was 18"x18". Impressed me.
    As long as you keep in mind the original idea for the AK (put lots of bullets downrange with utter reliability and not much regard for accuracy), you'll be fine. Most people get upset when their AK won't dot the "I" on a Pepsi can at 100 yards. It was never designed as a rifle capable of pinpoint accuracy. If you want that, go to the Dragunov. The AK is arguably the most rugged weapon system in the history of firearms. JMHO:)

14. Yep,the finish on most SAR1's suck, BUT the PERFORMANCE is superb.So much so that I now have 2 SAR1's.If you have one,keep it,if you don't, get it!

15. MAX7.62

MAX7.62 G&G Newbie

I've seen more bad than good but I always say that most anything is fixable! I've refinnished a couple of standard stock sets with good results but by far my prettiest one that I currently have has a Ironwood Designs walnut stock set. I've seen some nice looking plastic sets - nouglyguns.com had some really neat cammo ones but I still prefer the lumber instead of plastic. If you really want a nice fit and solid wood to finish I haven't seen anything any better than the Ironwood sets, and they're priced nice too! Thay also have several different options for wood type and configuration - I.E. with or without cleaning kit hole etc. The only problem with my SAR-1 with the ironwood set and Gunkote finish is that most people have said that it's too pretty for an AK! Another good place to get ideas for a refinish or to send your rifle for a re-do is Arizona Response Systems - again the only problem is that their finished rifles are almost too pretty!

16. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

This is also a very good thread!
    Max7.62,where do you get info on the ironwood furniture?Sounds good!
    Have any of you guys gotten an SAR1 with canted sights?If so how did you correct it?
    The more I hear about the SAR1 the more interesting they become.
    Who knows,if I get a good one and fix it up I may sell off my high priced AK and use the money to get an SR-41 carbine in 7.62x25!:) :)

17. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Calvin's first AK post? :)

18. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Dang, NRAJoe, you've dug up some ancient history there! I wonder how his AK finishing turned out?
    I refinished my own Romy myself, stock and metal. Turned out pretty good, and for a lot less than $300-plus clams! That kind of money would buy a couple milsurp rifles and a case of ammo. ;)

19. Maybe I just got lucky but my stock finish was fine and continues to be so. I really like my SAR-1, the only change that I have done has been to change out the fire control group for an adjustable one from Red Star Arms, this eliminated all trigger slap. I have not had a single problem with mine and I have put several hundred rounds through her with both Wolf and the Russian metal tin ammo that AIM has advertised in the past. I might consider doing the metal finish at some time but I like the more rugged AK look.

20. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My Romak-991 has straight sights and no trigger slap - but it looked like the finish had been brushed on badly.
    Absolutely reliable shooter, and fairly accurate too.