close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SAR 2's Drying up ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SteveO, Mar 29, 2002.

1. SteveO

SteveO G&G Newbie

I just bought an SAR 2 for my collection (thanx for the info on yours tinman, but I found this one locally). Are these guns drying up or what? They used to be all over the shotgun news ( S.O.G., Wholesale Guns and Ammo, FAC, Aim Surplus ) for like $280.00 and now it seems like nobody has them and when you do find one the prices are creeping up. Did they have a limited importation or something? Anyway, Tapco had the best deal on mags, four 30 rounders (used) in the pouch for $16.99!! Even if you throw the pouch away you can't beat that price. I can't wait for my case of ammo to arrive so I can shoot this thing. I am very interested to see how the AK feels with this smaller round as opposed to the 762x39.

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I talked to a guy in Florida about two years ago who told me that the AK-74 round was the best thing since sliced bread. He claimed 2" groups at 100 yds with surplus ammo out of his SAR 2. The AK-74 has a lot going for it and the mags are real cool and lightweight.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Is there ANY domestic source for this ammo? And does ANYONE know the actual bullet diameter?

4. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I heard from the same guy that the caliber on a 5.45X39 is a .21. I've looked everywhere and can't find commercial ammo. That's why I stuck with the 7.62X39. I would like to get a SAR 2 with mags if a commercial source came around.

5. You guys might try re-loading for the AK74. You'll always have an ammo supply and it is a lot of fun.

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Unfortunately, there are no commercial sources for the 5.45x39. There hasn't been enough shooting interest from the general public to warrant commercial ammo. There's a ton of surplus ammo for it. According to a friend of mine, who works for Winchester, there is no commercial interest in the 5.45. So, for now anyway, surplus is the only game in town.
    I've read stories about ex-Soviet Spetznas troops saying they would take the AK74 over ANY other weapon, including the 47, M-16, FAL, and the Daewoo. They claim that the 5.45 round gets the job done, and the accuracy in a full-size AK is excellent at 400+ meters. I would like to have an SAR 2, but don't really need one.

7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

How far we've come. SAR-2s have indeed dried up, and now BattleRifle's warming up to the 5.45x39mm round. :rolleyes:

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

All the Rommies are drying up except for the lowly WASR...

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

why do you say "Lowly" ? :confused: :assult: