Sarco .308 conversion barrel

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Full MeTal Jack, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Sarco is sopossed to send me a letter on how to install the .308 conversion barrel. Its's been too many days. Anyone get a letter for your converted barrel???
    I don't think those barrels were cut down by Beretta. I have a hunch those barrels are over-reamed Springfield 30-06 barrels.
    Any thoughts???

2. Far from an expert on this one, but there were several negative comments about Sarco .308 barrels on the CSP forum - in fact I see a lot of negative comments on Sarco in general.

3. gunsmith_tony

gunsmith_tony Guest

I've dealt with Sarco for years, but then I'm also a gluten for punishment. See if Springfield has any conversion bushings. They used to sell them to us Hi-Power shooters several years ago.

4. Jeremy2171

Jeremy2171 Guest

These are shortened in Italy and they work ok. They install just like a normal garand barrel however you will need a stock, op-rod and rear handguard that have all been shortened by 1/2". Remeber these are "7.62 NATO" barrels not .308. The 7.62 has a longer allowable headspace reading, so if it closes on a .308 no-go gage it's probably still in spec for 7.62 but without a 7.62 nato gage you won't know for sure. This was part of the problem, many smith's were using .308 gages instead of 7.62 and getting a flase reading.

5. Jeremy2171, the no-go gauge had a 0.015" spacer behind it and the bolt still closed. That can't be in spec even for a nato? With the barrel out, just eyeballing the fit of a round in the chamber looked very deep. I hear what your saying, but I think those barrels are SA rejects to begin with.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2002
  6. gunsmith_tony

gunsmith_tony Guest

Geeez guys. Why not just get a standard length Garand barrel in 308? You've got "Something" coming from Sarco...don't know what it is...you don't know who really made it...you don't seem very confident at all that it will work.:confused:
    It must be really cheap for you to go through all this.:rolleyes:

7. Jeremy2171

Jeremy2171 Guest

Did you try more than one bolt? 1.6455 is field reject for 7.62. Kinda hard to give you an answer without seeing the rifle or knowing exactly what was done. Did the right bolt lug actually touch the rec. rail when it closed?

I'd try several bolts and see if it tightens up any, remember the majority of the M1 bolts out there are used and probably have some wear in them as well. If you had a FIELD test bolt that would give the answer as the rec can also have wear as well.

8. I hear that. Bought the kit from Sarco that way with the shortened op rod and barrel. Next move it to have Sarco credit me the price of barrel and op rod. Then get a short-chambered commercial barrel and standard length op rod. But have to give Sarco first option to make things right.
    Tony do you work on AK's?
    Love picture on web, you look similar to (sp) Ardamis Gordan from Wild Wild West. hehehe

9. gunsmith_tony

gunsmith_tony Guest

Hmmm...I guess I do bear a slight resemblance.
    Anyway, yeah I work on AK's too. :assult:

10. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I did not think AK's required any work , just ammo & mags . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

11. gunsmith_tony

gunsmith_tony Guest

If it's man-made...it cab break.

12. Gotta bent barrel. There are cheaper that way. Tried but couldn't press the rear sight/bolt kicker block off myself.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2002