Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a Savage model 10FP that i got not to long ago(as many of you may know) i was just wondering where kind of parts are out there. such as:

1) decent stocks for a decent price (i dont need/want a $300+ stock..and thats pretty much all i have found soo far), just something that looks and feels good!

2) parts for bettter accuracy and such (yes i know accuracy has alot to do w/ the load/bullets, but i am just wondering if they make performance parts for savages)

Thanks

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
The Savage 10 FP is a precision rifle and shouldn't need additional performance parts other than a good scope. Stocks can be found at BOYDS' Gunstock and Hogue stocks. You may also get the directly from Savage.
I replaced the synthetic stock with a laminated thumbhole stock that Savage puts on their Model 12BTCSS. It's a great looking stock and quite comfortable.
I am in the process of testing commercial ammo since I don't yet reload. I have found Remington Core Lokt 180 gr to be the best so far with Rems 150 gr right behind it. I find Federal power shok and American Eagle both in 150 gr to be more than satisfactory.
I have a Mueller 8.5-24x44AO mildot scope on mine and like it very much; cost $160 from MizzouMule.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, let's see.....if you want a really nice synthetic stock I'd go with a Stockade or McMillan. Even the Bell and Carlson Medalist is very good for the money if you have an older staggered feed short action. It doesn't matter if it has a solid aluminum block or pillars...get a 'smith to glass bed the action. That will certainly help in the accuracy department.

There are some odds and ends available from Sharp Shooters Supply such as tactical bolt knobs, comp triggers, and heavy recoil lugs.

But, in reality, your 10FP glass bedded into a higher quality stock with good glass on top and good reloads...should shoot phenominally well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright thanks guys, i figured there wasnt much you could really do other then a stock, but i awnted to be sure. right now i have a pretty decent scope on my 10fp (Bushnell Legend 5-15x40).

oldjardhead- ive tried that federal power shook...didnt seem to shoot very well for me, always went high and left, no matter what i did(used it when sighting the scope in)... then i switched to winchester super x powerpoints and once i got it sighted in i hit nothing but the bullseye!

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i went with a choate stock $170
mueller 8.5x25 $240 ish

you can adjust LOP buy installing /removing spacers and cheek weld with 2 different heights of cheek rests

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice, not sure ife i am a huge fan of those types of stocks ( i like the movable cheekpiece though)... i was looking into the B&C Medalist A2... or possibly a stockdale stock... and im going to stick w/ the scope i have for now, it should easily do what i need out to about 400yards

billy does you bipod come loose sometimes?

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
nice, not sure ife i am a huge fan of those types of stocks ( i like the movable cheekpiece though)... i was looking into the B&C Medalist A2... or possibly a stockdale stock... and im going to stick w/ the scope i have for now, it should easily do what i need out to about 400yards

billy does you bipod come loose sometimes?
nope.
that is on there until i take it off

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm weird.. did it ever come loose on the stock savage stock? because my rockmount bipod comes loose....maybe its just not tight enough or something though

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
a good quality bi pod wont come loose once it is properly tightened down. i personally recommend harris, the design everyone else copies, but they are better built with better quality materials. yes, they do cost quite a bit more than the knock offs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeh, im not worried about it, it probably wasnt tight enough since it was just hand tightened

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
a good quality bi pod wont come loose once it is properly tightened down. i personally recommend harris, the design everyone else copies, but they are better built with better quality materials. yes, they do cost quite a bit more than the knock offs.
i have a stoney point and a harris.
i cannot tell the difference without reading the name on the metal.
they are EXACTLY alike.

hmm weird.. did it ever come loose on the stock savage stock? because my rockmount bipod comes loose....maybe its just not tight enough or something though
this has an anshutz type rail on the bottom of the stock.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ah ok, that probably makes a good bit of a difference !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts