Savage 10LE target practice

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Seabeescotty, May 27, 2008.

1. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Sunday afternoon, I got tired of cleaning the shop, and figured I take the Model 10 out, and see if it had been knocked out of adjustment. I banged off six rounds, and went to check, and it's hitting a bit high and left. Could it be the weather, that caused this change? I honestly don't remember dropping it.
    I wanted to make sure it's ready for friday, when Bro Bob comes by. We're gonna shoot up some paper!
    I used factory 168 gr. boattails, at a hundred yards, so I guess the group is pretty good. I just don't know why it's hitting high. It's got a good Nikon mildot 4.5 to 14X40 mounted on top. Scopes are a different science for me, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Attached Files:

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Could be temperature.

3. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

4. Seabeescotty

Swede, I kinda figured that was the case, but I've only been changing over to scopes since my eyes went bad. Believe it or not, I'm pretty new to scoped rifles! Should I leave it alone for awhile, or dial it back in, and then have to dial again?

And thank you, Squirrel Blaster! I was kinda tired, but it is a good rifle, and shoots where it's pointed. I can do better, on a good day, but they're gettin' fewer, and farther between! LOL!

I think I'll leave it alone, and let Bro Bob have a go with it, and see what he thinks!

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i see more shooter induced error in that group than anything. you probably need to spend more time behind that rifle. what kind of rest, sling, and how hard are you gripping the stock? if your shooting off a rest, or bipod, or even a sling, using a different technique than the last time you shot it will move groups like that.

6. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

DID YOU LET YOUR MONKEY HAVE THAT GUN FOR AN AFTERNOON?

they cant help but...well...
    monkey with things!

7. Seabeescotty

Was you two watching over my shoulder? Lefty, you got it on the spot, I was tired, but wanted to bust a few caps. I typically shoot that rifle from a bipod, and try not to clutch it like my first love. But...I'd been cleaning up the shop for six hours, and wasn't in the best of shape.
    Billy, for a monkey, that wasn't too bad. You oughta see when I let the donkey have a go with it!!LOL!!
    I really wasn't able to get the best out of the rifle, cause I wasn't at my best. But I wanted to see if it would perform okay, when our traveling member, Brother Bob, gets here on friday!

8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    wasnt looking, but i am pretty good at reading groups.

9. Seabeescotty

I hear ya, and that thing about flyers, I've read a bit about that, and they say it's not true! I read a manual about true testing, where you leave a target up, and put a new paper over it for each ten round group, for one hundred rounds. They say, that at the end of your test, there are no flyers! Imagine that. Me, I can almost yell, at the break of the trigger, that I screwed up, and the shot went bad. And only three of the six on that paper felt right at the break. And, I was tired, and gettin' old, and...excuses, excuses, excuses...LOL!

10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i'll kinda believe that. im not a big believer in "flyers", just bad shots. when i throw a shot, i usually know why instantly. the tough part is realizing it before the trigger breaks.

11. Seabeescotty

Yeah, it's funny how just as the trigger breaks, you know if it's a good shot or not. I can darn near call it every time, and know the shot went out of the group, as the rifle fires. It doesn't make me better, it just tells me that I can tell when I'm doing something wrong, like trying to force a shot. The one good thing to come out of it, is I don't have to chase wounded animals. I've gotten to the point, where I can tell if I'm trying to force a shot, and I refuse to do that when hunting. I let two shots go, last season, and on the third day, got a good one off, and dropped it where it stood, at 160 yards. So yes, I guess realizing my failures at the table has helped my hunting habits!

12. billy

i dont call em flyers.
    they are mistakes.....
    the gun doesn't just magically throw one into left Field.

scotty,
    i betcha that if you put that thing in a good rest , took your time, and did it on a no wind day. you would be gettin 5 shot 1 holers.

if i can do it you can too.
    hell just about ANYBODY is a better shot than i am!

A BRIEF INTERMISSION
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

As LeftyO says,you have a certain amount of pilot error but the part about high left could be caused by a clean barrel.If you fired another 5shot group it might go back to whatever poi it was shooting.I have had a just cleaned rifle take up to 20rds before going back to the poi I was getting at the last shooting before I cleaned it. sam.

14. Seabeescotty

Billy, on a good day, I can overlap 'em, but age is starting to creep in, and mess with my fun! I may just go out this morning, and see how I do, before sweeping dust, and see if my eyes do any better, not to mention all the other parts.

15. Murphy also said "Anything will work if you let it" and " If you screw with anything long enough, eventually wou will break it" Practice practice practice

16. Seabeescotty

I haven't been shooting enough, and I know it! And Sam, you may have hit the nail on the head, as I did a thorough cleaning on it, last fall, before I put it away for the winter. I'll get it out again, and see where it's hitting. Practice makes perfect! And a grizzled old first shirt told me that Murphy's Law is BS, if you pay attention to your P's and Q's!!

17. billy

mebbe i should take mine out tomorrow?
    what length bbl. do you have?