Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a Savage 110 chambered in 300 Win.Needless to say the recoil is substantial and the awful recoil pad makes it worse, not better. If anybody has one of these rifles they can testify to how odd the recoil pad mount is.On mine it is a hockey puck pad with the butt plate having a strip of plastic through the middle instead of a butt plate and screws. Does anybody here no how to put a regular recoil pad on?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
You can get an oversized pad from brownells. Put it on, take a pencil and trace your contours. Remove it and grind it down CLOSE to your pencil lines, then sand it down the last bit. You now have a custom fit recoil pad that has a smooth finish and looks professionally done.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
tape the end of you stock up, whack the new pad on, and shape it on a belt sander.... Carefully. Maybe drill some holes in the butt and add self tappers to attach?

·
Registered
767 Posts
pad

packmyer (Ya, I flunked spelling!) sells one at most walmarts that slips right on your stock and REALLY reduces felt impact! I have one on my 7mm rem mag, and am getting one for my new savage 30-06 (It does have a good kick)
It is a very tight fit, and once on, will not move or slip off on it own.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Awww, c'mon ya wuss....you mean Savages hard rubber kick enhancer, with the extra pointy edges to jab through hunting clothes, is supposed to be soft?

Suck it up and be a man! :right:

Seriously, my 7mm mag savage kicks about as well as yours does. I am gonna get one of the grind to fit or slip over limbsaver type pads. I am also thinking about a muzzle break too. Besides that would also look wicked cool....

I was also thinking about those recoil reducers the shotgunners use in the butstock of their shotuguns. Why wouldn't one of them work on a rifle?

For the time being, my rifle and I have an agreement. I can over look the hard kicking as long as it continues to hit the target. If it does so, it won't get tossed into the pond........ :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try the Sims Vibration Labs slip-on. I put one on my Savage .300 WSM, works pretty well. I think they make a grind to fit as well. Good luck

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
[QUOTE='Sniper[MI]

I was also thinking about those recoil reducers the shotgunners use in the butstock of their shotuguns. Why wouldn't one of them work on a rifle?

[/QUOTE]

They do. New England Arms makes a .450 Marlin that has it and it works. reduces felt recoil to about 45-70 levels.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The limb saver recoil pad I saw at the gun shop when I went in there snivelling about recoil looked like it would work real well, it was soft as anything.. But it was 75 dollars!!! If I cant get a decent trade in for my .308 ( I won`t, no one wants them ) I will have to buy one. Got lots of other stuff to spend on though, so it will be a while. Pachmayr are a lot less expensive, here atleast they are....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts