Savage 111 or Marlin XL7

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by flyphoto, Feb 21, 2010.

1. flyphoto

flyphoto G&G Newbie

I'm going to buy a 30-06 bolt gun and can get a new Marlin XL7 for $260 or a new Savage 111 for $384 with AccuTrigger. Both have blind magazine so I'm wondering if the Savage has any clear advantages that make it worth the extra $124.

2. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Evangelist

I'd buy the Marlin over the Savage. The Marlin has pillar bedding, weaver style bases, adjustable trigger, lighter weight, and the money saved will buy you scope and rings. I have a XL-7 in 30-06 and it will shoot one hole groups with 2 different loads and will shoot just about any bullet under 1".

3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Personally,

I feel the Marlin has the upper hand in this comparison. However, the Savage is a good quality gun so I do not wish to give the impression it is not of qualitiy.

4. AstroVic

AstroVic G&G Newbie

I actually own both of these guns...

I think the Savages have a slight edge in quality, but if I only had to pick one of them I would probably go with the Marlin because I don't think the price difference is worth it. As pointed out above, with the Marlin you get some incredibly nice features for a lot less money.

I think it's a very wise idea to spend the extra money on a better quality scope.
    My Marlin XS7 7mm-08 cost me $268 (and I got a free $30 Gerber knife with it), but it has a $500 Bushnell Elite 4200 #4 IR with $60 Burris Signature Zee rings sitting on top. It is one FINE weapon, and while it's one of the lowest cost guns in my safe it's also one of my favorites!

5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

definately the marlin spend the diff on a scope.

6. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Where are you finding the MArlin for $260? That's a great price. Cheapest I can find it is on Bud's for $314.

7. flyphoto

flyphoto G&G Newbie

Cabela's currently has the Marlin on sale for $259.99. Since it's just down the street, it's mighty tempting!! The flyer says that it's marked down $50, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. You know how these retailers like to "massage" their sale ads.

8. fishnfool1991

fishnfool1991 G&G Newbie

i personally like the savages because for one the barrel will be free floated instead of pillar bedded and although the marlin has an adjustable trigger but the savages rifles i own have a better trigger in them compared to my xs7.
    G

9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Marlin all the way :)

Fish, read up on Marlin's pillar bedding. You need to understand it a bit better.

10. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

I would take the Savage, more accurate, easier to work with, and in my opinion an all around better platform.

Obviously Marlin liked Savage as well, they did "borrow" the Accutrigger after all :D

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The more I see on the Marlin the more like a Savage it seems.Bet someone cut a patent deal on this one.Also,pillar bedding allows for free floating and is available in both rifles.(I don't know about that particular model Savage,but it can be installed.) ,,,http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1583&cid=0 ,,,sam.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  12. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Evangelist

The Marlin trigger works completely different than the Savage. I've heard of no complaints about the Pro-Fire trigger on Marlins, but have heard many complaints about the Accu-trigger.

13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

The XL7 was made as a joint effort by Remington & Marlin...you might recognize the action as having characteristics of the Remmy 700ADL, but with some definitive upgrades.

I'd suggest that you fellas that like Savage's, take a REAL close look at an XL7...it's better on every level. Heck, even all the gun mags say so :D

14. dog party

dog party G&G Newbie

Wow! If you can get a new Marlin XL7 for $260 then stop reading forum threads and GO GET IT!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted