Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I only own two savage rifles. One is an 11F in 300 WSM. The other is an 11G in .308 Winchester. Both have accu-triggers. I have a scope on the 11F, but I thought the 11G was a Long Action rifle. I went today looking for a one piece scope mount for the Long Action but couldn't find one. Then when I got home I was looking at Section 6 of my owner's manual and it calls the .308 a short action. I'm confused. I thought the difference in the F and G was the length of action. Can anyone straighten me out here.

Never mind about the F and G, I just found the code page on the Savage sight. F is for synthetic stock and G is for Wood, but I'm still not sure my 308 is a short action.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
.308 came about to shorten the action, as oppossed to a 30-06, to lighten the rifle and to reduce the weight of an infantryman's combat load.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Man, SwedeSteve, you seem to know a lot about a lot of guns. You've answered my questions on other parts of the site also. After I wrote this I got both guns out again and compared them. The first time I did that I thought the .308 opening was longer. I guess I imagined that. They are both the same length. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
theres a buncha great gun guys here.

just as an aside....
if I ever start sounding like i know what i am talking about..
thats when the B.S. alarms should be going off!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts