Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
704 Posts
i found a savage 17 hmr with a 3x9x32 scope for $259 is this a good deal and a good gun?
Hard to say on the deal part without more info. New list prices for Savage HMR's run from $230 to $530 or so, depending on the model. Seems to be sold in the US at 20-25% discount. Walmart carries some models. No such luck in Canada. The scope if it is a non AO Bushnell (which is common) runs about $35. That would be the low end and about the sky is the limit with scopes. You can see the various models of the Savage here. Unfortunately, Savage is a little careless with their photos. If you really want to be sure download their catalogue under Customer Support.

Savage Arms 17 Series Model 93R17F

I think Savage makes an excellent rimfire for the price, and it is likely hard to beat them on accuracy per $$ spent. The new models have an AccuTrigger design that is excellent, and you may want to check that they one you are looking at has it. It allows the trigger to be adjusted down to the 1.5-2 lb range by the user. Tool comes with the gun. Owners further bring it down by cutting a turn or turn and a half off the spring.

Not sure about the HMR, as I am kind of LR or Centerfire. LR for cost and Centerfire for power.

Ron

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I just recently bought a model 93R17 savage in 17 HMR and it is excellent. I have taken it to the range once and was able to get very tight groups at 50 yards and was able to hit empty shotgun shells at that range. I bought the rifle, a 6-24x40mm scope and 100 rounds of ammo for $370. the gun was used but looks and feels new. I think you are getting a pretty good deal and I know you will not be disapointed as far as accuracy goes. good luck and I hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts