Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a diagram that will show me how to take this shotgun a part so that I can clean it. Does anyone know where I can find this out? I've not found much info on this one.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hold the gun steady and pull down on the front of the forearm, this will take the forearm off, then open the action and pull backwards on the barrel and it will come out. Take the buttplate off and then the stock bolt, this will remove the buttstock, you should be able to get at over 90% of the internals just from doing that.
What gauge is it in? I've got a 220 in 16 and 28 ga, great grouse busters.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Savage is a nice old shotgun. I have one in 20 guage and treat it special. If you need a diagram try Numerich Arms,(Numrich Gun Parts Corp, e-Commerce Super Site) click on Start Here, look under S, then Savage, then 220. If you have a screen capture utility or you can print the diagram they show you. Click on the diagram first to enlarge it.

The post prior to mine tells you to remove the buttstock, you'll need a large flat screwdriver or better yet a 1/2 inch square socket on a long extension with a 1/4 ratchet. If the stock has never been removed it's going to be tight. Get somebody to sit on the buttstock while you loosen the stock bolt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 12 ga. What do you do to remove the buttstock when the buttstock bolt hole has been filled with lead?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Filled with lead? You kiddin me? Somebody sure didn't like the recoil of that gun. Not sure what to tell you now. How does one go about removing a pound of lead?

Does the gun have any engraving on it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Filled with lead. There are three methods I can recommend. First get a long deck screw, 2 ½ or 3”, drill a pilot hole down the center of the lead core using a smaller drill bitt. Screw the deck screw into the lead core and using a pair of pliers grip the head of the screw and attempt to remove the lead core. It probably won’t budge, try carefully warming the lead with a good hair dryer. Be very careful with the stock finish.

Purchase a long ¼” drill bitt (you can purchase 12” long bitts at Lowes or Home Depot) and drill down the very center of the lead core until you hit the steel bolt head or bottom of the wood. The lead should drill very easily and you should be able to sense when and if you hit the wood. To help yourself maintain the center of the lead core run a piece of masking tape down the stock aligning each end in the center of the wood. Once you have this hole drilled increase your drill bitt size to 3/4” to 7/8” and drill down the center of the lead. The pilot hole you made with the ¼” bitt should act as a guide for your 7/8” bitt to follow. Don’t use a lot of force, the lead will drill easily. The drill bitt should follow the hole down to the bottom.

The least detrimental method would be to heat up a small diameter steal rod (3/8" maybe) using a propane torch and slowing prodding the lead core melting it away little by little.

I don’t know how dirty your 12 guage model 220 is but usually all that’s required in a single shot is to open the action and clean the barrel. Then wipe the entire metal parts with oil. You can clean the action with the barrel removed and hold the action pointing down and spraying into the action with something like WD-40. That way there is no need to remove the butt stock. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
LadyHawk, Haven't seen any replys, wonder if any of this resolved your questions. By the way is LadyHawk associated to the movie "LadyHawke" with Michelle Pfeiffer? Great movie, my dog was named after Captain Navarre of the same, he was a black Akita relating to the black wolf in the movie.

As you reassemble your Savage 220 for the weight in the butt stock use #6 or #8 shot. Using the lead shot that shotgun reloaders use you'll be able to fill the void in the stock then shake it down to settle, top off the very top with a cotton ball then melt wax over to seal. It will be a lot easier when you decide to remove the butt stock next time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I haven't had time try it yet and thanks for the tip on replacing the weight. No my name didn't come from a movie. My b/f is known as "hawk" so with us being together for life I became da "lady". LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts