1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up an old 410 off my father inlaw
the gun is mint
i got it for 80 bucks
do they make a shell for that gun that will take deer?
or should i just stick to fowl an small game
i think it takes 3 inch shells

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
410 is not good for deer at all. They do make slugs, but they're pretty lightweight.

Small game is a good use.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I grew up with a Savage 24 .22LR/.410 and I got a lot of small game with it.

I think it's a great gun to learn on since it forces you to make good use of that single shot.

I agree with BRG3, even with slugs I wouldn't consider the gun to be much good for deer.

Although, mind you, I have heard (emphasis on heard) stories of deer taken with .410 slug.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
I've always thought the .410 to be very under-appreciated - but I gotta admit, I know no one who's taken a deer with it. Up close, yeah, it could do it.

Great little gun for bunnies and squirrel though! :cool:

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I've got a Savage bolt action .410 repeater. Good lil gun but I wouldn't try to shoot deer with it under any circumstances. It's got a broken extractor and when I get around to fixing it it's going to my daughter.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've heard of deer being taken with .410, I've also heard of people useing .41 Magnum in the .410, never tried it, don't know if it fits or stays together. Anyone have a .41 and a .410?

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ive got 2 different 410's, none of which work. One is in pieces because i tried to reblue it, didnt work. And the other is a single shot, and it wont load the shells. I dont think it takes 3 inchers, but when i put in 2 3/4 shells, it will get as far as about half way on the brass part, then stop. So, unless it is smaller than a 2 3/4, I dont know what to do. Just dont want to load anything. Maybe I just need to get some new shells, the ones that I have are pretty old. Maybe that will work. Besides, isnt .410 pretty expensive for what its packing?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
steel_warrior1 said:
Ive got 2 different 410's, none of which work. One is in pieces because i tried to reblue it, didnt work. And the other is a single shot, and it wont load the shells. I dont think it takes 3 inchers, but when i put in 2 3/4 shells, it will get as far as about half way on the brass part, then stop. So, unless it is smaller than a 2 3/4, I dont know what to do. Just dont want to load anything. Maybe I just need to get some new shells, the ones that I have are pretty old. Maybe that will work. Besides, isnt .410 pretty expensive for what its packing?
Is it maybe stopping when it gets to the extractor? If so just close the barrel. If not maybe the chamber needs a good cleaning or polishing.

What would you take for the pieces?

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
When I said 410 is not good for deer, I meant that you stand a good risk of a not-so-clean kill. A meager 243 Winchester with good shot placement is better than a 410 that won't penetrate enough to kill fast. Heck, I'd even take a 223 over a 410. Not that I have any experience, but science is good for something...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks logansdad that is interesting reading

i took the .410 into the woods
i shot #0,#000,#4,#5,#6. it handles well, gives a good kick
i shreaded many cans with all the above shells

1 - 14 of 14 Posts