Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if the accuracy of the Savage bolt is better than the semi version, or is the action purly the only difference in these rifles? I know the rugar 10/22 and rem 597 are okayish, but I know most bolts are better, however, the savage guns all look the same to me on the website so perhaps the semi and the bolt savages are teh same guns except for the action?

Any insights would be great if you've patterned them before.

I am looking for the more accurate version, but if they are the exact same I will get the semi...

I guess you would have to have looked at both very carfully and really know both guns to give a good answer.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,958 Posts
There's a very good reason people spend the big bucks to upgrade their semi-autos for target shooting. A good bolt-action will nearly always be more accurate than a good semi-auto.
For best accuracy - go with the bolt rifle.

My $200 Chinese-made JW-27 bolt rifle (BRNO/CZ clone) will outshoot all but the very best $1500 Ruger 10-22's.

:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have the bolt version-the MarkII FXP in synthetic. I love this little gun. I personally wanted a dependable, simple, accurate, tough, and affordable 22. I got every thing I paid for. Not to crazy about Savages synthetic though, and I put a 3-9x32 Tasco I had laying around. That little 4x15 is nasty.
I will soon go buy the bull barreled version-the FV.
I haven't shot the semi-auto 64 yet but I am sure it's a good little gun. Just depends what kind of shooting you are going to be doing. If rate of fire is what you need then the 64 is your ticket.
Are you target shooting?-The FV bolt,bull barrel is probably the better way to go.
Plinking? - I love plinking with a semi-auto.
Varmint Hunting?-for squirrel, rabbits, or groundhogs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh man, well the semi auto action would be great for plinking! but I dont' wanna sacrifice the 100yard scope shots on paper.

I guess I'll stay bolt, but now I may want to consider a CZ?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sorry crazyhair. I didn't mean to confuse you. The truth be told I have never shot an inaccurate 22 rifle. Ever. Even a 40yr old 22 will shoot decent. I took my Savage MarkII out today and further floated the barrel by scraping the edges off the stock. Very easy. It was touching the barrel. If the stock at all touches the barrel, it isn't free floating..
My brother has 2, 10/22 Rugers. One stainless. One blue. Now I know that you can build a 10/22 like crazy, making them THE most accurate 22s around (if you have the money) but his are both stock. I outshot him on every shot. I know it really p***s him off but he admits that my humble Savage out shoots his high roller Rugers.
I have put at least 10,000 rounds through my Savage. The bulk pack of Federals works best in mine. They are more consistant than the Winchesters or the Remington golds. (Yeah we shoot a lot of 22s.)
But Like said, you probably won't go wrong with either. I am going with the bolt FVXP next. I just like a bolt.
Semi-auto is nice, but I tend to put more into each shot with a bolt or single shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both guns stock the bolt will be more accurate. Why is the semi cheaper? It' cost less to make. There are more precision turning in the bolt action build.

Think of it this way, a semi has to have some play to function reliably. Now the reason people spend the big money on semi-autos is to split that fine line of reliability and precision. The bolt gun if built generally right will nearly always seat the cartridge the same, when fired, the case is not moving around, there is a stable rear resistance to the recoil.

I'd get the bolt if I wanted to do longer distance shooting. The other feature working against the semi-auto is that in the Savage models there's not the market support for aftermarket parts and do dads as in the Ruger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts