Savage 93 F 22 mag problem.

Discussion in 'Savage' started by alleyyooper, Sep 29, 2020.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    I got this rifle new in the box for a mowing job I did a few times couple summers ago, 199.00 out the door.
    [​IMG]

Scope mounts was the first problem I had to deal with, Williams gun sights is in my back yard and never saw a sabvage 93 with this pattern.
    [​IMG]

But dealing with savage was nice in they sent e a rail for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Third problem was the mag, a bunch of reading on the net and a small set of channel locks deals with that.

[​IMG]

Today I decided to shot it some. Been stored all winter in my deer blind. Not fireing the rounds. Looks like thre fireing pin is striking good but other wise duds rounds 4 out of 6 shots.

Bring to the house do a complete strip job and oiled well rebuilt it and same results.
    Old style trigger, feels like about 12 pounds of pull remove reciever from the stock soak in my carb cleaner, blow dry oil well re assemble and same results. Only fires ever shot feeding shells seprate trigger is still attroches.
    Where to look next.
    I remember last squirrel season having to fire about ever 3d round a second time.

It sure was a squirrel gettter thought 47 squirrels 9 were not head shots longest shot 97 yards and closes was 3 power scope set all hair in the glass.

A year ago it got a desert sand paint camo job.

Al

Junction15 and ChaZam like this.
  2. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Always heard of great accuracy with the Savage brand alley. Sorry ya had some headaches though. The trigger does sound tough to live with though. My Marlin 925M had the T-900 trigger which is quite crisp and not too heavy so I was lucky there. Nice lookin gun ya got there and I would stick with it.

neophyte, Junction15 and ChaZam like this.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

Try a different type of ammo in it. If that doesn't work, send it back to Savage and have them check the headspacing of the barrel.
    Rifle Basix makes an aftermarket trigger for them if you want a lighter trigger pull.

neophyte, Junction15 and ChaZam like this.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Guess I've been lucky with mine. I put a sweet 1 piece mount on it from Dip Products and bought 2 extra mags to go along with the original and all 3 of them have been trouble free. Mine goes bang virtually every time with Fiocchi, CCI, Winchester, Hornady, & last but not least a brand named Highland RX that's made by Armscor. Mine has the Accutrigger and it is pretty doggone good for a factory trigger. I hope you get yours figured out Al...

neophyte, Junction15 and Txhillbilly like this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

I modified my 93 GL since Savage doesn't offer a heavy barreled LH 93 in 22 mag. I bought a Green Mountain barrel for a Ruger 77/22 mag and machined the tennon to the Savage diameter & length. Then sanded out the barrel channel of the stock for it to fit.
    It turned out really well, and shoots pretty good also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

neophyte, Gun Junkie, K75RT and 3 others like this.
  6. Savage has some of the best Customer Service in the industry; I'd try some different ammunition first, measure the firing pin protrusion and see if the firing pin has a draft on it, there should be a ground in thinning that is reminicent of an ax or maul yet flat not curved. If it still has issues box it up and give Savage an email.....https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=repairs

neophyte, ChaZam and Txhillbilly like this.
  7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    Good grief girtty, The gun worked fine for a bit, year two maybe. Ammo used is CCI V MAX 22WMR 30gr Varmint.
    CCI 22 WRF ??? GR. Not for use in revolver.
    Federal Premium 30 gr speer TNT mv 2200 FPS HP.
    Winchester super X 40gr FMJ 1910 FPS. Mostly what I have shot up the Squirrels with

Al

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    BudW, neophyte and animalspooker like this.
  8. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Hope it gets straightened out. Should be trouble free for years if cleaned and stored properly. I needed a new 22 mag and decided on the Ruger American with 18 inch barrel. Only problem seemed with the magazine. Not easily chambering the last round. Shipped me a new one for free. Springs seem different than the mags with the 10/22s I owned years back.