savage 99 30/30

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by neil west, May 13, 2008.

1. neil west

neil west G&G Newbie

Help I have a 99 ? in 30/30 cal. ser#279xxx I figure about 1925 or 27. I had to replace the butstock. I have looked for letters for the maodel but can't find any. It has a 22 inch barrel with a scnabel tip and a plain stock. The front sight is a simple blade. It has the brass rotating magazine which numbers the rounds

2. Be more specific, what help do you need or want?

3. Can you post some pics?Go to Models It has a list of specs for your rifle. 22inch barrel+ Schnabel+dovetailed front sight=saddle gun or short model. Strait-grip butt stock with steel butt plate. click on the link. it takes you to savage99.com

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. turner

turner Guest

I'll take a wild guess and say likely a 99A, if 24" barrel and straight grip buttstock or perhaps a 99E if a 22" barrel. There are some very smart fellas here who really know their 99s and with a bit more info, I'm sure they can tell you for certain what you have.

5. 99trix

99trix G&G Newbie

Could be a number of models. Is the front sight in a dovetail or an intregal ramp? Straight grip or pistol grip stock? You can check out pictures at this sight

Savage Lever Actions of North America

Sights, barrel length, butt stock and forestock discriptions help narrow down the model.

6. Mad Dog

Mad Dog G&G Newbie

If it's a solid frame and not a T/D it's gonna be either a an early model 99C or 99E. Both hard models to find, nice gun. If it's a T/D then you've got a run of the mill 99F.

7. 99trix

99trix G&G Newbie

What about a D or a G?

8. What about a 99a short model?

9. 99trix

99trix G&G Newbie

99A model wasn't made until about a year later than the serial number quoted and it had a 24" barrel. The 1899A short rifle was only made until 1922 about 3 years earlier than this rifle.

I don't know what he means by a simple blade. Is it a simple blade in an intregal ramp or is it a simple blade in a dovetail?????????

10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog G&G Newbie

Blair, missed the D if it's a T/D but not a G. The G would have had a 20" bbl that year in 30-30.

11. neil west

neil west G&G Newbie

It's not a take down AND I can't find any A, B OR C classification. Blade front sight in a dovetail and the buttstock is plain w/o checkering with a straight grip. It had a steel carbine buttplate, all with matching numbers. Unfortunately the barrel needs reblueing and the buttstock has alot of wood rot. Recommend a refinnisher?

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog G&G Newbie

I think you've got a model C there, really hard model to find.

Take the forearm off and tell me what you see stamped on the front of the receiver where the forearm fits in it.

13. neil west

neil west G&G Newbie

99 model

There is no number there. All there is, is on top of the receiver is savage 1899 model, with I think a 19 inch barrel. That doesnt sound right should be 20 inch right? The serial number is 272xxx

Last edited: May 15, 2008