Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, glad to join your forum and would appreciate any help you could give me concerning a mod 99 I just picked up. The serial # is 721xxx and the # stamped on the lever boss is 14f. it is in great condition and is chambered for the 300 savage. Any help as to date of manufacture and what mod it is would be great. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Need more info to give you a model. It could be an EG, R or RS. EG has the schnoble forestock and 22" barrel, the R and RS have a rounded forestock and a 24" barrel. The RS has a Redfield 70LH rear peep. Both the R and RS will be factory drilled and tapped, EG may be factory drilled and tapped, I don't have enough info when they actually started factory drilling and tapping the EG, but that serial number if I remember correctly would be close. Date of manufacture is 1954. Mad Dog would know about the EG drilling and tapping. If it is factory the model 99 will be off to the side.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It has the schnoble forestock, mod 99 is dead center, savage arms corporation, chicopee falls, mass. stamped on barrel,lever safety, brass cartridge counter, and a 23" barrel, pistol gripstock, checkering on buttstock and forestock. Thanks for replying.

Also would like to know if Marble or Lyman still make a tang sight that fits this rifle or where i could find an original. it has not been drillrd and tapped for a scope and would like to leave it as such. Thanks again for yuor help!.

Sorry, the barrel is 24".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Savage mdl 99's

I have two 99's a 300 amd a 30-30. I really don't know the models. The 30-30 sn: 324xxx, has a raised bead on raised ramp front sight, marble rear sight, metal cresent butt plate, perch belly stock, heavy schnoble forearm, a 23 inch barrel and a shell counter on the left side. What info can you give me on this rifle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Date of manufacture 324,500 or less 1929, 324,501 and higher 1930.

Need a picture to be positive what model. Perchbelly ended around 1919. Is it a take down or solid frame? Pistol grip or straight stock? Did you measure the barrel from the receiver? If you did savage adds an inch for the threads making yours a 24" barrel which would be standard. Anything else would be modified. Checkering?

Just a guess from the sight descriptions, I would think that it was a 99A produced from 1926 - 1937. Should have SAVAGE MODEL 99 on the frame ring top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey folks, glad to join your forum and would appreciate any help you could give me concerning a mod 99 I just picked up. The serial # is 721xxx and the # stamped on the lever boss is 14f. it is in great condition and is chambered for the 300 savage. Any help as to date of manufacture and what mod it is would be great. Thanks!!!
wow i can just about duplicate this exact post. Everything is the same. can someone help and tell us what type of Gun we have?

My barrel is 24 inches long with the schnobel forhand stock with a triangle shaped checkering. has a small H imprinted infront of the reciever on the left side infront of where the stock and barrel mount to the reciever, about an inch below the front scope mounting posts. Has the 14F circled infront if the lever handle. Has a SP circled on the barrel. and manufacturing info is printed ontop of the barrel. my serial number is 721XXX also.......

Please all the info you have would be great!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The F means it is an EG? How can you tell its an EG? i was told that the EG's dont have the schnoble forend........could it possably be a different model? Possably an R?

What type of butt stock does it have?

·
Registered
377 Posts
No, the "F" is the date code, not the model designation.

Not sure who told you EG's never had a schnoble tip on the forearm but I hope for your sake your not buying your guns off him. In 1954 only EG's and R's were made and if it's got a schnoble tipped forearm it's an EG, period.

·
Banned
623 Posts
No, the "F" is the date code, not the model designation.

Not sure who told you EG's never had a schnoble tip on the forearm but I hope for your sake your not buying your guns off him. In 1954 only EG's and R's were made and if it's got a schnoble tipped forearm it's an EG, period.
+1 ...BOOM!!, I love to see a fella who knows his STUFF!

·
Registered
6 Posts
savage 99

Was wondering if someone could help my with the value of two model 99's I have?
One is 99A with straight stock,curved schnoble forearm,22" barrel.
most of the blueing is worn off the reviever, about 50% on barrel.
Shoots and functions good, stock in good condition.serial #C4579xx

The other one is Model 99 300 cal. not sure but think it is EG
Has pistol grip stock,Schnole forearm, stock has checkering also.
Made in Chicope Falls, has savage 300 Circled sp on barrel by reciever.
It also has circled 7C in front of lever
blueing is 90%,stock is very nice. serial #5824xx

Any help would be appreciated;thanks:feedback:
Mikep8566

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hello everyone--another newbie to own a Savage 99, just purchased. Just want to know the model and what year it is from.

It is a checkered pistol grip walnut stock, checkered schnabel forend, with factory Savage scope rings (with 2.75 Tasco), Ser. # 739xxx, in 300 Savage
Barrel is 23 1/4 (never cut down) ", left side of barrel by reciever says
"Savage CD". Left side of reciever near barrel there is a "5" or an "S"
Also on the right tang after removing the stock, just above the lever, there are 3 widely spaced letters, " 3 Y N".
I think it's from 70's or 80's, but not sure.

Any clues out there?

Steve S

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is there a letter in front of your serial number?

Savage CD's were made after 1960 and your serial number puts it around 1954/55.

By rights it sounds like a model EG but the CD on the barrel screws me up. A model CD barrel would be a V threaded barrel and wouldn't fit in a premillion serial numbered gun.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is no letter in front of the serial number
But just forward of the lever on the bottom of the reciever (the lever boss?) in a circle there is "19E"--which by some info I found would put it in 1953?
Also by other material I found on-line I agree it is probably an EG based on wood, sights, etc.

Perhaps the barrel was changed? Overall the gun is in nice shape--barrel @ 95% blue, reciever is about 90%, bore is fine too. I think it was carried more than shot

Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
One more thing--what was the difference between early and late barrels? Perhaps the thread pitch or type?

Also, metal on this gun looks good and never butchered so to speak, but wood had been off and stripped, with no cap, buttplate or swivel stud--so yes I did buy it as a project gun. Looking around for period correct butt plate and cap now.

Hope you can help and thank you for quick reply already!

Steve

·
Registered
377 Posts
If he`s the same 'Maddog" that hangs out on the: 24 hourcampfire-Savage-Collectors, I`d
say you are correct.
Same guy, I get upset there from time to time now and jump around a bit.

Steve: The differences with the barrels is that a barrel above 1,000,000 won't fit your gun. The ones above one million had V threaded barrels and under a million had square threads, you can't make them fit on each other. Thats why I can't figure out why your barrel would be marked "CD", the model CD was only made from 1975 to 1980 and would have had V threads. I'm wondering if your just looking at an inspectors mark or assemblers marks. The post-mil model CD had a 22" barrel though, if yours is 24" then it's the correct barrel and it's just assemblers marks.

On the buttplate, keep an eye on Ebay, they usually have one on there all the time just make sure the buttplate is for an EG, take measurements of your stock and ask the seller to measure his buttplate. The cap shouldn't be hard, go to Gun Broker and type in Savage and find a guy named "lightfoot" on there, he might have a cap sitting at home for you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts