Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of searching I found and purchased (site unseen, I'm in AB, bought it from a gunshop in SK) the above Savage lever action.

Upon receipt I checked it out and noticed there was about 1/4" freeplay in the lever when the action was closed. Upon closer inspection I found if you pressed down on the back end of the bolt the action would pop open. Also, it isn't loading shells properly as the bolt itself seems to be running about 1/4" lower than it should.

After speaking with the seller about him paying for any necessary repairs, I took it to a gunsmith. He told me up front it was either a cracked frame or else it would be a locking bolt that was loose. To tighten the locking bolt screw he would have to remove the stock. Fair enough, I left it with him and called him back yesterday. He told me he had tweaked the gun and it appeared to be working properly and that when the action was closed and the gun was cocked, there was no free play in the lever. But that if it wasn't cocked, there was about 3/16" play. He also told me this was "normal" for this type of gun.

Now, I'm new to Savage lever actions. My hunting partner has been using them all his life as has his father. In fact, it was him lending me a .300 last fall that convinced me I wanted my own. I know for a fact there's no free play in the action of the one I used. I've shot 2 of his other .300's and can say there's no free play in the action of those either. He swears he's never had one that had this free play nor has his father.

Has anybody here ever seen this type of freeplay in the action? Is it 'normal'? Does anybody have any ideas on what I should look for when I take the gun down (I have a takedown guide and plan on stripping it to give it a thorough cleaning after I get it back from the gunsmith)?

I'm inclined to take the gunsmith's word for it but I have a niggling concern and am hoping someone here can allay it. I looked long and hard for this .308 and would be most unhappy to not be able to keep it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You've got a loose lever bite, it's what holds the action closed.

Yes it is common in alot of 99's but easily fixed, your smith wasn't needed if you could get the lever out by yourself. All you have to do is put the lever in the vise and tap on the lever bit with a rubber mallet until it is tight enough for your liking. Don't go wailing on it, you've got to try it a couple times until it's correct.

I've had a few 99's over the years with a loose lever and it always works for me. The real old ones are usually the worse for loosening up due to their age. I've got 6 of them made in 1896/97.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the good news is, the smith's only charging me $20.00 for what he's done. Also, I have a takedown guide I bought recently and plan on stripping it to give it a thorough cleaning, so will take care of that when I do so. I was more concerned about the bolt sliding about 1/8 to 1/4" lower than it should and not feeding shells correctly. But, the smith assures me that it is feeding properly now and even offered to use it this fall for hunting to prove it.....LOL.

I'll know more after I get it home and do some test firing at the range.

Thanks a bunch Mad Dog!

Yes it is common in alot of 99's but easily fixed, your smith wasn't needed if you could get the lever out by yourself. All you have to do is put the lever in the vise and tap on the lever bit with a rubber mallet until it is tight enough for your liking. Don't go wailing on it, you've got to try it a couple times until it's correct.

I've had a few 99's over the years with a loose lever and it always works for me. The real old ones are usually the worse for loosening up due to their age. I've got 6 of them made in 1896/97.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, check this out......LOL.

So I got a takedown guide and took the rifle apart and gave it a good cleaning. I did this in the company of a friend who owns 5 or 6 .300 99's so we could compare some of the parts (he took one of his apart at the same time).

Anyhow, long story short, what we discovered the problem is, is the Lever Assembly Bushing. Go figure! I swapped mine for his and the problem is gone. So I'm presently looking into buying a new one to replace the worn bushing so I can give him his back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Thanks to this, and other Canadian gun enthusiast sites, I found the Numrich website and ordered replacement bushings and screws. I ordered 4 complete sets so I could have a spare and a couple for my hunting partner. Total cost $53.00 and they arrived in under 10 days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts