Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father gave me a 1916 Savage Model 99 .250-3000. It is in great shape but the rear tang sight is missing. Does anyone know where I can get one? I would really like to start target shooting with this gun. Also, can anyone tell me what it's estimated worth would be? Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go to Ebay and get a vintage Lyman tang, there's usually one or two on the site.

It'll have SA stamped on the bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tang sights for a model 99

Well, tang sights for a model 1899 can be bought at/from Midway USA. They sell Marble replacement tang sights for the 1899. Normal price for the fully adjustable sight is $125. It goes on sale a few times a year for $99. If your gun is like mine(it was made in the same year/it is the same caliber), you have a 1 in 14 twist in your barrel. Later ones had a 1 in 12 twist. All of this means that if have a 1 in 14 twist, the only bullets that work well (as far as accuracy), are ones that are 90 grains and below. 87 grain bullets are the most common. The best results that I have gotten as far as hunting is the Speer 87 grain hot core bullet. It is accurate and is a good deer round. I do not advice using the 90 grain Sierra hollow point for deer. Although Sierra says that it is ok--I shot one deer 5 times in the chest at 75 yards and all it did was walk slower. Boy I learned my lesson on that round. Speer and Hornandy 87 grain bullets seemed to be accurate and worked. 100 and 117 grain bullets would go all over the place or "yaw". With a 1 in 14" inch twist--you must keep the bullet weight down. Good shooting and hunting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Savage 1899 Tang Sight

There is a nice Lyman dual peep tang sight on eBay this week. . see eBay item # 280155340222

1 - 8 of 8 Posts