Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently recieved a 300 Savage model 99F, it's in excellent shape and I was curious if anyone might know what year it was manufactured?
The serial number is 760196 and there is a small circle with 14G in the middle of it located on the front of the trigger guard. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
99f

Should be 1955. Great gun, i`ve got an older .300 only mines a 99R.
They don`t make-um anymore so hang on to that one.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply .250. I'm getting the rifle re-blued and the stock cleaned up and re-varnished in the next few weeks. There are definitly no plans of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Akula said:
Thanks for the reply .250. I'm getting the rifle re-blued and the stock cleaned up and re-varnished in the next few weeks. There are definitly no plans of getting rid of it.
Are you sure you want to do that? If it`s that badly in need of refinishing then it`s just a "shooter". In that case you haven`t hurt anything.
As with any Savage 99 (pre-mil) condition is everything.
Once you work them over they seem to lose their old world persona.
You`ll end up with a nice looking gun but it`s historical value will be gone.
As you said your keeping it, now you can look for another one in good condition. There`re out there but hard to find.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Akula: In your original post you said in part," it`s in excellent shape."
Why, them, are you getting any work done on it?
Did you mean mechanical shape ?
What i said in my post stands, but am wondering why?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey .250, mechanical wise the gun works excellent. The previous owner however tried revarnishing the stock himself. It looks more like he "dipped" it in the varnish and let it run off. This is why I thought I would do the full revamp on the rifle. Your post about old world persona makes sense though, the gun definitly has character to it. Thanks for the feed back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts