Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad inherited a Savage Anshcutz 141 in .22lr. the gun is in perfect condition. my question is why is it a SAVAGE anschutz? I didnt know savage had any thing to do with anshutz. did savage import them or did savage build anschutz rifles here or what?

·
Banned
704 Posts
For whatever reasons Savage went through a period of time where they imported them. I don't know if the whole gun is Anschutz or just the barrel and action. In about 1993 Savage bought Lakefield Arms located in Canada, and they now use that shop to make all the rimfires.

Right now, Weatherby is doing the same thing. Their rimfire is an Anschutz action and barrel with a US made stock (B&K??).

If you don't get an answer to your question here, you could do a search here, or ask your question.

Anschutz - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Ron

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thanks. do you know if the savage anschutz are as good of quality as just an anschutz? i've heard that anschutz are top notch guns. and dont they build a lot of the olympic competition guns? obviously those are higher quality than what i have but is this a good one? are the savage anschutz worth as much as just an anschutz?

·
Banned
704 Posts
okay thanks. do you know if the savage anschutz are as good of quality as just an anschutz? i've heard that anschutz are top notch guns. and dont they build a lot of the olympic competition guns? obviously those are higher quality than what i have but is this a good one? are the savage anschutz worth as much as just an anschutz?
Anschutz is a top quality manufacturer. However, they do make guns of different qualities for and different purposes. Their sporter version sells for about $500, while their target competition guns can push $4000. The Weatherby Anschutz is in the $900 range and I suspect is their sporter action with a fancy stock, and some $$ for the Weatherby name too!

I have a friend who just got one, and I have shot it. It is a very nice gun. Trigger pull is a little heavier than I like, and there was not enough time to figure out how accurate it will be. It certainly will be under 1" at 50 yards, and probably 1/2", but I'm not so optimistic that it will push the 1/4" mark. I gave him some Lapua Master ammo to try, and the results were not that good. However it was somewhat windy and time was short.

I don't know what models Savage imported. Is yours a sporter version or the target style? You can see the various Anschutz models at the link below. Not great pictures, but if you click on them, you can see a bit larger image.

osCommerce

This Savage collectors forum would likely be a good place to ask questions if you want a more detailed account of the history of them, and value.

24hourcampfire: Savage Collectors

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Savage-Anschutz vs Anschutz-Savage

I may be able to help you some, based on what I've been told.

Between the period of 1963 - 1981 Savage manufactured rifles using the Savage model 110 action for sale in Europe and these were called Anschutz-Savage rifles. In that period Savage manufactured rifles for sale in the US and these rifles used the much more desirable Anschutz model 64 action and these rifles were called Savage-Anschutz. I've talked to several people who are much more knowledgable in this subject than myself and they all verified this as fact. So, if you have a "Savage-Anschutz" marked rifle, you have a reallly good, and rare one. Hope this helps................Van

1 - 6 of 6 Posts